(单词翻译:单击)
正文部分
Joey: It's like if you woke up one day and found out your dad was leading this double life. He's like actually some spy, working for the C.I.A. That would be cool... This blows!
这就像你某天起床突然发现你爸是个双面人,就像是为中情局工作的间谍,那一定很酷,但这个很烂。
Monica: Did you think Dad cheat Mom?
你觉得爸爸欺骗过妈妈吗?
Ross: I don’t think so. That would involve sex. I would like to think that our parents don't do that.
我没这么想过,那一定包括性行为.我希望我们的父母没那么做。
Rachel: I know, I mean, why can't parents just stay parents? Why do they have to become people? Why do they have... Why can't you stop staring at my breasts?
我懂,为何父母就不能是父母?为何他们就得成为人间男女?别再盯着我的胸部看?
Chandler: What? What?
什么?什么?
Rachel: Did you not get a good enough look the other day?
那一天你还看得不够吗?
Ross: Alright, alright. We're all adults here, there's only one way to resolve this. Since you saw her boobies, I think, uh, you're gonna have to show her your peepee.
我们都已是成年人,此事只有一个解决之道,既然你看过她的胸脯,你应该让她看你的小弟弟。
Chandler: You know, I don't see that happening.
办不到。
Rachel: Come on, he's right. Tit for tat.
拜托,他说得对,以眼还眼。
Chandler: Well I'm not showing you my "tat."
我不会让你看的。
Monica: Hello?
谁啊?
Phoebe: It's Phoebe.
是Phoebe。
Roger: And Rog.
还有Rog。
Monica: Come on up.
上来。
Chandler: Oh, good. Rog is here.
太好了,Rog 在这儿。
Joey: What's the matter with Rog?
Rog怎么了?
Ross: Yeah.
是啊。
Chandler: Oh, it's nothing; it's a little thing... I hate that guy.
没什么,只是一点小事……我不喜欢这家伙。
Ross: What, so he was a little analytical. That's what he does, you know? Come on, he's not that bad.
因为他太善于分析,他就是这种人别这样嘛,他没那么糟。
Ross: You see, that's where you're wrong. Why would I marry her if I thought on any level, that she was a lesbian?
这就是你错误的地方,如果当初我感觉到她是女同性恋者我何必和她结婚呢?
Roger: I dunno. Maybe you wanted your marriage to fail.
我不知道,或许你想让婚姻失败。
Ross: Why? Why would I why? Why? Why? Why?
为什么……
Roger: I don't know. Maybe maybe low selfesteem, maybe maybe to compensate for overshadowing a sibling, maybe you...
我不知道,或许自信心不足,或许是弥补你让你妹相形见绌的愧疚,或许……
Monica: Waitwait, go back to that sibling thing.
等等,回到妹妹的话题。
Roger: Well, I don't know.
什么?我不知道。
要点讲解
名词解释与缩写:
C.I.A.= Central Intelligence Agency(美国)中央情报局
dunno=do not know(不知道)
gonna=going to将要
单词回顾:
1. gaze: 凝视,注视 stare: 盯住
2. intercom: 门铃(带对讲机的那种)
3. sarcastic: 讽刺的
4. analytical: 喜欢分析人的
5. esteem: 尊重,尊敬
6. lesbian: 女同性恋者
7. conceivable: adj. 可能的;想得到的,可想像的
eg. But the only conceivable failure would be to give up exploring.
但是,唯一可能的失败,就是放弃探索。
eg. Is it conceivable that this colossus could learn that spectacular success is a precursor of surprising failure?
这个巨大的经济体能够汲取教训、明白辉煌的成功通常预示着惊人的失败,这有可能吗?
8. sabotage: 蓄意破坏
eg. Don't let his ignorance sabotage your interview or your chances at landing the position.
不要让他的无知破坏你的面试、让你失去这份工作机会。
9. low selfesteem: 自信心不足
10. compensate: 弥补
eg. Nothing can compensate for the loss of one's health.
失去健康是无法补偿的。
11. overshadow: 使黯然失色
eg. When negative experiences overshadow your positive experiences, the best alternative is to start creating positive memories now.
当积极的经历成为积极经历的阴影,最好的方法是现在就去创造积极的。
12. sibling: 兄弟,姐妹
俚语短语学习:
1. his blows: (俚语)这太烂了
2. walk over: 走过
eg. Walk over to your colleagues rather than phoning or emailing them.
走过去和你的同事讲话,而不是打电话或发邮件。
3. stare at: 凝视;盯着
eg. When babies stare at some faces longer than others, it indicates that they prefer to look at them and find them attractive.
当婴儿注视某些面孔的时间更长时,这就表明他们觉得这些面孔更漂亮,更能吸引他们。
4. tit for tat: 以牙还牙,以眼还眼 tit: 轻打tat: 轻击
eg. There is always a catch—a kind of tit for tat.
这里处处都是陷阱——以牙还牙。
eg. But “tit for tat” is just a little too much of a poster child.
但 “以牙还牙”有些过于理想化了。