《老友记》视听精讲第176期:我今年26 这就对了
日期:2012-11-27 17:33

(单词翻译:单击)

原文视听

Chandler: Hello Rachel.
好呀,Rachel。
Rachel: Get off.
下来。
Phoebe: Uh, uh, gimme. Can you see me operating a drill press?
你们能想像操作钻床的我吗?
Joey: I don't know. What are you wearing?
我不知道,你穿什么?
Ross: Pheebs, why would you want to operate a drill press?
不知道,你为何想操作钻床?
Phoebe: Just for some shorttermwork. You know, until I get back some of my massage clients.
只是暂时的工作,直到我找回部份的按摩客户。
Chandler: Pirates again?
又是海盗?
Phoebe: No, nothing like that. I was just...such a dummie. I taught a "massage yourself at home" workshop. And they are.
没那回事,我是个大笨蛋,我教他们“在家自己做按摩”,于是他们就真的都在家做了。
Joey: Hey, hey, Chan. She could work for you.
嘿,Chan,她可以为你工作。
Chandler: Thanks Joey, that's a good idea.
谢了,这是个好主意。
Phoebe: What... I could, I could do it. What is it?
我可以,是什么工作?
Chandler: Well, my secretary is gonna be out for a couple of weeks. She is having one of her boobs reduced. It's a whole big boob story.
我秘书这几周无法来上班,她去动消乳手术,一言难尽的波霸故事。
Phoebe: I could be a secretary.
我可以当个秘书。
Chandler: Well, you know Phoebs. I don't know if it's your kinda thing, because it involves a lot of being normal. For a large portion of the day.
我不知你是否是这块料,因为这份工作得要表现“正常”,白天要尽量正常。
Phoebe: I could do that.
我能办到!
Rachel: What are you playing with?
你在玩什么?
Ross: Oh, it's my new beeper.
我的call机。
Joey: What the hell does a paleontologist need a beeper for?
古生物学家要那玩意儿干嘛?
Monica: Is it like for dinosaur emergencies. 'Help, come quick, they're still extinct.'
恐龙紧急事件?救命啊,快来,他们还是绝种了。
Ross: No, it's for when Carol goes into labor. She can get me wherever I am. I mean, all she has to do is to dial 55JIMBO.
不,是为卡萝生产买的,她随时可以联络到我,她只需拨个号码55一JMB0。
Chandler: A cool phone number, and a possible name for the kid.
这号码真酷还能当孩子的名字。
Monica: All right, I'll see you guys later.
各位回头见了。
Rachel: Off to see young Ethan?
去见Ethan小子?
Monica: Thank you.
谢谢。
Joey: How young is young Ethan? Young?
Ethan到底有多小?很小?
Monica: He's... our age.
年纪和我们差不多。
Chandler: When we were?
当我们还是……
Monica: Okay, he's a senior in college.
他是大学四年级学生。
Ross: College?
大学?
Joey: Rob that cradle.
老少配。
Monica: He is smart and mature and grownup.
他聪明,成熟,稳重。
Ross: Mature and grownup. He is a big boy.
稳重和成熟,他是个大男孩。
Chandler: Whoa! And this manchild has no problem with how old you are?
这位小朋友不在乎你的年纪?
Monica: No, of course not. It's not even an issue. Because I told him I was 22.
当然不在乎,因为我告诉他我22岁。
All: What?
什么?
Monica: Oh, I can't pass for 22?
我不像22岁?
Phoebe: Well, maybe 2526.
25,26还说得过去。
Monica: I am 26.
我今年26。
Phoebe: There you go.
这就对了。

影片简介

Rachel大做春梦——先是和Chandler,第二天梦见和Chandler及Joey(不过太多时间是后两人在忙乎),第三个梦终于是和Ross。Phoebe想做兼职赚钱,所以给Chandler做秘书。Chandler由此发现同僚们不再像以前那样喜欢他……甚至模仿他讲话的语气取乐。Monica和大二年级生Ethan约会,后来方知此君竟然是——高中二年级生,她无法接受遂于之分手。

重点讲解

背景介绍:

rob: 抢劫、据为己有 cradle: 摇篮,引申指襁褓中的女儿。

Rob that cradle: 照字面翻译是抢女儿,其实它是比喻一个人占尽便宜,与一个比自己年纪小很多的异性结婚或谈恋爱。

短语学习:

1. a large portion of: 大部分

eg. A large portion of the brain is dedicated toward coordinating and controlling movement.
大脑的很大一部分是专注于协调和控制运动的。

2. pass for

通过考试而成为;考上(学校、医生等)

Have you heard that Smith passed for the key senior middle school?
你听说史密斯考上了重点高中了吗?

被认为;被当作

He speaks English well enough to pass for a native speaker.
他英语流利得使人会以为他讲本国语呢。

冒充;被错当成……

He tried to pass for a gentleman; but everyone knew he was an upstart.
他设法将自己冒充成为一名绅士,但每个人都知道他只是一位暴发户。

分享到
重点单词
  • senioradj. 年长的,高级的,资深的,地位较高的 n. 年长
  • movementn. 活动,运动,移动,[音]乐章
  • portionn. 部分,份,命运,分担的责任
  • drilln. 钻孔机,钻子,反复操练,播种机 v. 钻孔,(军事
  • dedicatedadj. 专注的,献身的,专用的
  • paleontologistn. 古生物学者 =palaeontologist
  • operatev. 操作,运转,经营,动手术
  • extinctadj. 灭绝的,熄灭的,耗尽的
  • robv. 抢劫,掠夺
  • issuen. 发行物,期刊号,争论点 vi. & vt 发行,流