《老友记》视听精讲第178期:因为他们并不喜欢你
日期:2012-11-29 15:49

(单词翻译:单击)

原文视听

Ross: Yeah, that's right. That's right, JUMBO with a U, sir. No, belive me, you don't want me. Judging by his number, I'd be a huge disappointment. Alright, bye bye.
对,你要打的是55一JUMB0,没错,有U的JUMB0,不,先生,相信我,你不会想要我的。从他的号码看来,你看到我会大失所望,好吧,再见了。
Joey: Hey, hey. How was the first day?
第一天上班如何?
Phoebe: Oh, excellent. Everyone was so, so nice.
太棒了,每个人都很棒。
Chandler: See, it pays to know the man who wears my shoes. Me.
瞧,认识穿我鞋子的人是有代价的。
Phoebe: No, I didn't tell anybody that I knew you.
不,我没告诉任何人我认识你。
Chandler: Why not?
为什么?
Phoebe: Oh, because, you know... they don't like you.
因为他们并不喜欢你。
Chandler: What?!
什么?
Phoebe: I thought you knew that.
我以为你早知道。
Chandler: Noho. Who doesn't like me?
不知道,谁不喜欢我?
Phoebe: Everyone. Except for uh... no everyone.
每个人,除了……不,是每个人。
Chandler: What are you talking about?
你们在说什么?
Phoebe: Don't feel bad. You know they used to like you a lot. But then you got promoted, and, you know, now you're like "Mr. Boss Man". You know, Mr. Bing. Mr. Bing, "Boss Man Bing".
别难过,他们过去都很喜欢你,自从你升职后,他们感觉你是上司,大人物,大老板。
Chandler: I can't belive it.
我简直无法相信。
Phoebe: Yeah, yeah. They even do you.
他们甚至还模仿你。
Chandler: They do me?
模仿我?
Phoebe: You know like... uh okay... uh... "Could that report be any later?"
对,报告要“何时”才能交来?
Chandler: I don't sound like that.
我没有那样。
Ross: Oh, oh Chandler...
Chandler……
Joey: Oh... Yeah, you do.
你有的。
Ross: The hills were alive with the sound of music.
这山谷回荡着真善美的音乐。
Joey: My scones.
我的烤饼。
Phoebe, Joey, and Ross: "My scones."
我的烤饼!
Chandler: Okay, I don't sound like that. That is so not true.
我没那样说话。
Chandler: That is so not... That is sonot... That... Oh, shut up!
这“不”是真的。这不……闭嘴。
Monica: Did not.
不会吧。
Young Ethan: I am telling you, up until I was, like nine, I thought that gunpoint was an actual place where crimes happen.
告诉你,我到九岁时,还以为枪口就是犯罪现场。
Monica: How was that possible?
怎么会。
Young Ethan: Well, think about it. It's always on the news. "A man is being held up, at gunpoint." "Tourists are being terrorised, at gunpoint." And I just kept thinking: why does people continue to go there? Oh, ah.
新闻老是报导犯罪事件,某人在枪口下,惊慌的观光被挟持在枪口下,我一直在想为何人总是要那儿去。

影片简介

Rachel大做春梦——先是和Chandler,第二天梦见和Chandler及Joey(不过太多时间是后两人在忙乎),第三个梦终于是和Ross。Phoebe想做兼职赚钱,所以给Chandler做秘书。Chandler由此发现同僚们不再像以前那样喜欢他……甚至模仿他讲话的语气取乐。Monica和大二年级生Ethan约会,后来方知此君竟然是——高中二年级生,她无法接受遂于之分手。

重点讲解

背景介绍:

jumbo: <美>庞然大物,自从有了55JIMBO的呼机后,Ross经常被别人打错号码问是否提供性服务。所以他解释中间不是U的字母。Jumbo是一头名为Jumbo的大象。它在伦敦展出帮主人赚了不少钱。也许就是因为这头超大体型的象,在美国,当你走在超市里,一定会注意到不少商品的包装上面印有Jumbo的字。这不是哪个品牌,而是"超大号"的意思。

短语学习:

1. reach for: 伸手去拿

eg. These are hard places to reach for most divers—under ice in low temperatures.
这些位于冰层下的寒冷的地方对于大多潜水者来说都难以达到。

eg. Or consider this: I reach for a cup to have a drink.
或者思考一下这个问题:我伸手去拿一只水杯想喝水。

2. hold up: 拦劫

eg. Violating the provisions to hold up and inspect a normally running vehicle;
违反规定拦截、检查正常行驶的车辆的;

eg. Illegally hold up or detain a motor vehicle, without listening to the dissuasion, thus causing serious traffic jam or heavy property losses.
非法拦截、扣留机动车辆,不听劝阻,造成交通严重阻塞或者较大财产损失的。

简单口语句子:

it pays to do sth: 值得做某事

eg. Although English learning costs me an arm and a leg, I think it pays to do.
虽然英语学习花了我不少钱,但我觉得它是值得的。

eg. Two small stories that underscore one important point: It pays to do the right thing.
两个小故事强调了一个重要的观点:做正确的事情是值得的。

分享到
重点单词
  • exceptvt. 除,除外 prep. & conj. 除了 ..
  • inspectvt. 调查,检阅 vi. 调查
  • disappointmentn. 失望,令人失望的人或事
  • detainvt. 扣留,拘押,耽搁
  • vehiclen. 车辆,交通工具,手段,工具,传播媒介
  • propertyn. 财产,所有物,性质,地产,道具
  • underscorevt. 划线于,强调,提供伴奏乐 n. 下划线,影片伴奏