(单词翻译:单击)
原文视听
Woman:Chandler?
Chandler?
Chandler:Mrs. Tedlock. You're looking lovely today. And may I say, that is a very flattering sleeve length on you.
Tedlock小姐,你今天真漂亮。我能说这件衣服真好看吗?
Mrs. Tedlock:Yes. Well, Mr. Kostelick wants you to stop by his office at the end of the day.
当然。制片人Kostelick先生希望你在下班后能到他办公室去。
Chandler:Oh, listen. If this is about those prank memos, I had nothing to do with them. Really. Nothing at all. Really. Nothing.And frankly, those shenanigans have no place in an office environment.
如果他是为搞笑备忘录不是我干的,真的不是我。坦白地说,办公室里没有地方容纳这些恶作剧。
Phoebe:Hey you guys! Chandler's coming and he says he has, like, this incredible news, so when he gets here, we could all act like, you know...
各位,Chandler说他有天大好的消息。他来的时候,我们可以…… 你们知道的……
Chandler:Hey!
大家好!
All:Hey!
你好!
Phoebe:Never mind. But it was going to be really good.
算了,但一定是好消息。
Ross:What's going on?
到底怎么了……
All:What is it?
怎么样?
Chandler:So, it's a typical day at work.I'm inputting my numbers, and big Al calls me into his office and tells me he wants to make me processing supervisor.
今天和平常没什么两样。我在输人数字时艾尔叫我到他办公室说他要我当电脑处理的主管。
All:That's great!
真是太好了,恭喜……
Chandler:So... I quit.
所以我就辞职不干了。
All:Why?
为什么?
Chandler:Why? This was supposed to be a temp job!
为什么?那就是说我成了临时雇员!
Monica:Yeah, Chandler... you've been there for five years.
Chandler,你已在公司五年了。
Chandler:If I took this promotion, it would be like admitting that this is what I actually do.
我知道,但接受升职不就承认这就是我的目的。
Joey:Does that mean we have to start buying our own toilet paper?
这是不是意味着我们必须自己开始买手纸?
Ross:That was Joey Tribbiani with the big picture, Dan?
那是有大照片的Joey,Dan?
Phoebe:So was it a lot more money?
这那不是能赚更多钱?
Chandler:It doesn't matter. I just don't want to be one of those guys that's in his office until twelve o'clock at night worrying about the WENUS.
我不在乎,我不想成为坐在办公室到午夜,担心“WEENUS”的人。
Rachel:... the WENUS?
担心WENUS?
Chandler:Weekly Estimated Net Usage Systems. A processing term.
“我们估计净值使用系统”这是电脑处理的术语。
Rachel:Oh. That WENUS.
那个啊!
Joey:So what're you going to do?
所以你是想怎么做?
Chandler:I don't know. That's the thing. I don't know what I want to do. I just know I'm not going to figure it out working there.
我也不知道该怎么办,我只知道我不会再待在那儿工作了!
Phoebe:Oooh! I have something you can do! I have this new massage client... Steve? Anyway, he's opening up a restaurant and he's looking for a head chef.
我有一份你可以做的工作。我的新按摩客户Steve,他开了一家餐厅,他正在寻找总厨师。
Monica:Um... hi there.
你好。
Phoebe:Hi! Oh, yeah, no, I know. You're a chef. I know, and I thought of you first, but um, Chandler's the one who needs a job right now, so...
我知道你是个厨师,而且我先想到你,但钱德目前没有工作所以……
Chandler:Yeah... I just don't have that much chefing experience. Unless it's an alltoast restaurant.
我没有太多厨师的经验,除非那是一家只卖土司的餐厅。
Phoebe:Yeah, yeah!
恩,这样。
Monica:Well, what kind of food is he looking for?
他想要什么菜色?
Phoebe:Well, he wants to do some eclectic, so he's looking for someone who can, you know, create the entire menu.
他想要菜色丰富多变,因此他在找一个能创造出整个菜单的人。
Monica:Oh my God!
哦,天啊!
Phoebe:Yeah, I know! So, what do you think?
对,我知道。意下如何?
Chandler:Thanks, Phoebe. But I just don't really see myself in a big white hat.
谢了,我只是觉得自己还没有资格当厨师。
Phoebe:OK. Oh Monica! Guess what?
好吧。Monica,你猜怎么着?
重点讲解
日常名词:
1. sleeve length: 袖长(美国人说你这衣服穿着特合适就说:这袖子在你身上长度正好?)
2. processing: 数据处理(整理) supervisor: 管理人,主管人
processsing supervisor 数据管理员
3. memo: memorandum的缩写,备忘录
4. head chef: 主厨,厨师长 chef:(餐馆等的)厨师长
5. in a big white hat: 戴着白色的大帽子,指成为主厨
incredible: 让人难以置信的,不敢相信的 act: 表演,表现 never mind: 别介意,别担心,算了
temp: 临时雇员,临时 be suppose to: 应该 a lot more: 更多的
6. Weekly Estimated Net Usage Systems: 【周评估净值使用系统】 a processing term: 【电脑处理术语】
词组学习:
1. figure out: 弄明白
eg. Worse, are you still trying to figure out if you need any of the above?
更糟的是,你是否仍在试图理解以上这些的必要性?
2. open up: 开办,开设
eg. Not only do you get to broaden your experiences of life, you open up many doors for the future.
这不但能拓展你的人生阅历,而且能为你的未来生活打开许多扇门。
3. tap on: 在……上轻敲,轻拍 tap: 轻敲,轻打
eg. We just turned the tap on and drank the water.
我们只是打开水龙头然后就直接饮用。
4. have nothing to do with: 与……无关
eg. But you can get other benefits from coffee that have nothing to do with caffeine.
但是你可以从咖啡中或许与咖啡因无关的其他好处。
5. stop by: 停留一下
eg. People will think it's hilarious because of your age, and they'll stop by to see what you're doing.
因为我们年纪小,行人就会觉得很有意思,停下来看看你在做些什么。