(单词翻译:单击)
原文视听
Monica: Dammit, dammit, dammit!
该死,该死,该死!
Phoebe: Oh I see, so then, you were lying.
我明白了,你们是在骗我。
Joey: About what?
骗你什么?
Phoebe: About how good your cards were.
骗我你们的牌有多好。
Joey: Heh... I was bluffing.
我在唬你们。
Phoebe: Aha! And... What is bluffing? Is it not another word for... lying?
什么是唬?不就是骗的同义字吗?
Rachel: OK, sorry to break up this party, but I've got resumes to fax before work tomorrow...
抱歉,我不能再玩了,我在明天工作前得打好履历表……
Guys: Whoa, whoa, whoa!
哦,哦,哦!
Chandler: Rach, Rach, we gotta settle.
Rach,Rach,我们得算帐。
Rachel: Settle what?
算什么?
Chandler: The... Jamestown colony of Virginia. You see, King George is giving us the land, so...
在维吉尼亚的詹姆斯城殖民地,乔治三世把土地给我们,所以……
Ross: The game, Rachel, the game. You owe us money for the game.
Rachel,这是赌局,在赌局上你欠我们钱。
Rachel: Oh. Right.
哦,好。
Joey: You know what, you guys? It's their first time, why don't we just forget about the money, alright?
你们知道吗?这是她们的第一次,别和她们计较钱了
Monica: Hell no, we'll pay!
不好,我们会付钱的
Phoebe: OK, Monica? I had another answer all ready.
Monica, 我有另一个答案了
Monica: And you know what? We want a rematch.
知道吗?我们要再来一次
Ross: Well that's fine with me. Could use the money.
行,我又有钱花了。
Rachel: So basically, you get your yayas by taking money from all of your friends.
这么说你们的组合家俱, 都用朋友的钱买来的。
Ross: ...Yeah.
是的。
Chandler: Yes, and I get my yayas from Ikea. You have to put them together yourself, but they cost a little less.
没错,而且我是在“宜家家俱”买的,得自己动手装,不过便宜许多。
Ross: Look, Rachel, this is poker. I play to win, alright? In order for me to win, other people have to lose. So if you're gonna play poker with me, don't expect me to be a "nice guy", OK? Cause once those cards are dealt...
这是玩扑克。赌博就是要赢钱,为使我能赢钱,别人就得输。如果想和我玩牌,就别指望我手下留情。因为牌一发出......
Joey: ...Yeah
然后呢?
Ross: I'm not a nice guy.
我就六亲不认。
影片简介
Rachel腻烦了当女侍应,送出许多简历应聘:她在第五大道上(首屈一指的)Saks Fifth Avenue百货公司得到面试机会。Ross为Rachel倾倒。男人们玩扑克牌,三个女人也想加入,男人们犹豫着答应了。女人们初学乍练输掉了第一局,想再玩一次。争强好胜的Monica一发不可收拾……
重点讲解
背景知识:
Jamestown colony of Virginia,King George:瑞秋和钱德勒等人打牌,输了却不知道给钱,因此钱德勒用乔治三世(King George)把弗吉尼亚的殖民地詹姆斯敦给了美国来作比喻。乔治三世是英国历史上的君主
,他对北美殖民地采取强硬态度,最终导致美国革命。
词汇讲解:
1. bluff: 以假象骗(人),佯作有把握以骗(人)
eg. Have you ever called someone's bluff?
您是否曾以虚张声势来形容某人?
2. break up: 使……分裂
eg. The ship went aground and started to break up.
轮船搁了浅,开始破碎。
3. rematch:(对手之间的)第二次比赛;重赛
eg. By the spring, the governor looked vulnerable in the next election and I began to think of a rematch.
到了春天,怀特州长看上去已经无力赢得连任,我于是开始考虑再次竞选州长。
4. nice guy: [口语]好人
eg. Women now know that if they want a nice guy, they have to be less of a mystery.
女子们现在知道了如果想嫁一个好男人,她们必须减少自身的神秘感。