荧屏中的情景口语 第53期:生活大爆炸 讨论故障
日期:2013-09-05 17:51

(单词翻译:单击)

荧屏情景

第8周 在路上

荧屏情景:

星期四 讨论故障 片段选自《生活大爆炸》 第2季第5集 The Big Bang Theory S02E05 02:52--03:52

Sheldon: Thank you for driving me to work.
谢尔丹:谢谢你开车送我上班。
Penny: You know this is my day off, Sheldon.
佩妮:你知道今天我休息,谢尔丹。
Sheldon: Oh, good. I'm not keeping you from anything. Your "check engine" light is on.
谢尔丹:哦,太好了。我没打扰到你的工作就好。你的“检查引擎”灯亮着。
Penny: Enhn...
佩妮:嗯。
Sheldon: Typically that's an indicator to, you know, check your engine.
谢尔丹:要知道,通常情况下这意味着你应该检查一下引擎。
Penny: It's fine. It's been on for, like, a month.
佩妮:检查什么啊,它都亮了一个月了。
Sheldon: Well, actually, that would be all the more reasons to... you know, check your engine.
谢尔丹:实际上,这意味着你更应该……检查一下你的引擎了。
Penny: Sheldon, it's fine.
佩妮:谢尔丹,没事的。
Sheldon: If it were fine, the light wouldn't be on. That's why the manufacturer installed that light, to let you know it's not fine.
谢尔丹:如果真的没事,那灯就不会亮。制造厂家安装了那个灯,就是为了让你知道有事了。
Penny: Maybe the lights broken.
佩妮:可能灯坏了吧。
Sheldon: Is there a "check the 'check engine light'light"? Oh...
谢尔丹:有“检查‘检查引擎灯’灯吗”?喔……
Penny: What?
佩妮:什么?
Sheldon: Studies have shown that performing tasks such as eating, talking on a cell phone or drinking coffee while driving reduces one's reaction time by the same factor as an ounce of alcohol.
谢尔丹:研究表明,驾驶时所进行的进食、打手机或者喝咖啡等行为对驾驶者反应时间的影响与一盎司酒精是等同的。
Penny: Do you have any alcohol?
佩妮:那你有酒精吗?
Sheldon: Of course not.
谢尔丹:当然没有。
Penny: Too bad.
佩妮:可惜啊。

重点讲解

重点讲解:
1. day off
休假日;休息日;
eg. It was Mrs Dearden's day off, and Paul was on duty in her place.
那天迪尔登夫人休息,保罗替她当班。
eg. I work from Tuesday to Saturday, and Sunday and Monday are my days off.
我从星期二到星期六工作,星期日和星期一休息。
2. keep sb. from doing sth.
阻止(或防止、阻碍)某人做某事;
eg. Embarrassment has kept me from doing all sorts of things.
我总是害怕受窘,什么事都不敢去做。
eg. What can you do to keep it from happening again?
你怎样防止它再次发生?
3. If虚拟语气
文中用到的是,if从句表示与现在的事实相反的假设时,从句的谓语动词一般用过去时(be用were而不用was) ,主句谓语动词用should/would/could/might+动词原形
eg. If there were no air, people would die.
如果没有空气,人就会死亡。
eg. If I were in his shoes, I would not take such a risk either.
如果站在他的立场看问题,我也不会承担这个风险的。
eg. If he were alive now , he might have grown into a handsome young person.
要是他现在还活着的话,他会已长成一个英俊的小伙子了。

分享到
重点单词
  • celln. 细胞,电池,小组,小房间,单人牢房,(蜂房的)巢室
  • alcoholn. 酒精,乙醇,酒
  • reactionn. 反应,反作用力,化学反应
  • checkn. 检查,支票,账单,制止,阻止物,检验标准,方格图案
  • factorn. 因素,因子 vt. 把 ... 因素包括进去 vi
  • indicatorn. 指示器,指示剂 [计算机] 指示符
  • embarrassmentn. 困窘,尴尬,困难