荧屏中的情景口语 第47期:律政巾帼 视频会议
日期:2013-08-28 18:40

(单词翻译:单击)

荧屏情景

第7周 开会

荧屏情景:

星期五 视频会议 片段选自《律政巾帼》 第1季第8集 The Good Wife S01E08 03:10--04:21

Tamara: More commonly known as cloning?
塔玛拉:就像平常所说的克隆?
Professor Whitton: Yes, I-I'm sorry. Yes, cloning.
惠顿教授:是的,对不起,就是克隆。
Man: Why does she keep apologizing so much?
男:她为什么总是不停地道歉?
Woman A: That's who she is.
女甲:她就是这样的人。
Tamara: Now, the prosecution contends that you buckled under the pressure of your research. You were supposed to deliver your results, and you missed several deadlines.
塔玛拉:现在,控方认为你受不了研究的压力,你本应该交出研究成果却三番五次错过最后期限。
Professor Whitton: Missing deadlines is just, um, I mean, everybody misses deadlines.
惠顿教授:错过最后期限只是……我的意思是,每个人都会有这种时候?
Tamara: Did you set the fire that destroyed your lab, Professor Whitton?
塔玛拉:是你放火烧了实验室吗,惠顿教授?
Professor Whitton: No... Never. I, uh... Look, I was on the verge of a career-defining fellowship at Cambridge. I would never do anything to hurt my research.
惠顿教授:不……不是我。我,呃,瞧,我马上就能获得剑桥大学的职业绩效奖学金了,我绝不会做不利于我研究的事情。
Tamara: Where were you at the time of the fire?
塔玛拉:事发的时候你在哪里?
Professor Whitton: Um, I was running on the, uh, track across campus.
惠顿教授:我在跑步,沿着校园跑道,
Man: This is like watching a baby seal being clubbed. That's after how many sessions of witness prep?
男:这就像在看一个小海豹正在被棒击, 进行了几次作证预演?
Woman A: Three.
女甲:三次。
Man: You can't put her on the stand. The stammering, the nerves; she looks guilty.
男:你不能让她出庭。结巴,紧张,她心里没底。
Woman B: She's innocent.
女乙:她是无辜的。
Man: Yeah, well, so's my four-year-old niece, but I wouldn't put her on the stand either. What do you get from her?
男:那好,我四岁的侄女也是无辜的,但我也不会让她出庭。你从她身上发现了什么?
Woman A: Denial, alibi, context.
女甲:否认罪行,有不在场证据,事情的来龙去脉。
Man: You still have the alibi witness?
男:还有证明不在场的证人吗?
Woman A: And the guard and the arson expert.
女甲:还有门卫和纵火案专家。
Man: I'd keep her a mile away from the stand. You put her on, she's going away for 15 years.
男:我不会让她出庭作证的。你让她作证,她就会被判15年刑期。

单词与短语

单词与短语:
1. be supposed to
应该,被期望
eg. Every pupil is supposed to be in his classroom at 9 a.m.
上午9点时每个学生都应当在教室里。
eg. The details were supposed to be secret but somehow leaked out.
这些细节原属秘密,可是不知怎么给泄露出去了。
2. on the verge of
接近于; 濒于
eg. Her eyelids drooped as if she were on the verge of sleep.
她眼睑低垂好像快要睡着的样子。
eg. The company is on the verge of insolvency.
该公司快要破产了。
3. keep away from
远离;避开
eg. We should keep away from being a sybarite.
我们不能做个奢侈逸乐的人。
eg. Keep the children away from the machine.
别让孩子们接近机器。

分享到
重点单词
  • trackn. 小路,跑道,踪迹,轨道,乐曲 v. 跟踪,追踪
  • alibin. 不在场证明或辩解,托辞 v. 辩解,找托辞开脱
  • denialn. 否认,拒绝
  • prosecutionn. 实行,经营,起诉
  • innocentadj. 清白的,无辜的,无害的,天真纯洁的,无知的
  • sealn. 印章,封条 n. 海豹 v. 盖印,密封
  • arsonn. 纵火,纵火罪
  • insolvencyn. 破产,无力偿还;倒闭
  • pressuren. 压力,压强,压迫 v. 施压
  • contextn. 上下文,环境,背景