(单词翻译:单击)
It's such a commonplace event that you probably never asked yourself why you sleep.
睡觉是个特别自然的事儿,你大概从来没有问过自己为什么会睡觉 。
But from a scientific point of view, this is far from a mundane matter --
但是从科学的角度来看,这是很神秘的一件事 。
in fact, for sleep researchers, it's one of the biggest unanswered questions in the field.
而事实上,对于睡眠研究人员来说,这仍是该领域中一个悬而未决的问题 。
Stop and think about it for a second. Why should we sleep? Is it because we get tired?
停下来仔细想想 。我们为什么会睡觉?是因为我们累了吗?
But we sleep every night, even when we have had plenty of rest.
但是即使我们休息够了,晚上还是要睡觉 。
Further more, if you were designing an animal, would you have it lapse into prolonged periods of unconsciousness every twenty-four hours?
此外,如果让你设计一种动物,你会让它每24小时陷入无意识状态一段时间吗?
Shouldn't that put it at a terrible disadvantage?
那不是让它处于很大的劣势吗?
There are no doubt several different answers to this question, but let's just consider one overall purpose sleep may fulfill:
毫无疑问针对于这个问题会有很多不同的答案,但我们单去考虑一个能够实现的整体目标:
sleep as a survival strategy.
睡觉是一种生存策略 。
Human beings are "diurnal" creatures.
人类都是白天活动的 。
That means we are normally active during daylight hours, when our senses function most effectively.
那意味着我们通常是白天活动力比较强,那个时候我们的感官功能也是最有效率的 。
译文来自可可英语