(单词翻译:单击)
On a previous show we mentioned how not all shooting stars have the same speed.
前面的文章中我们提到为什么不是所有流星都有相同的速度 。
Some disappear almost immediately, while others make a nice slow line across the sky.
有些几乎立即就消失了,而有些拖着长长的尾巴穿过天空 。
If you enjoy watching the slow ones, there is a way of upping your chances of seeing them.
如果你喜欢观看缓慢的流星,那么有一种方法可以增加你看到它们的几率 。
Go out just after sunset.
日落后就出门 。
That's because the slowest meteors come in the evening and the fastest ones come in the morning, just before sunrise.
最慢的流星在夜晚出现,最快的流星出现在早晨,就在太阳升起之前 。
Can you guess why?
你猜猜为什么呢?
The speeds of meteors we see are increased or decreased by the earth's motion.
我们看到的流星的运动速度随着地球的运动情况而增减 。
If we charge into them head-on our speed is added to their speed.
如果地球正对着流星的方向运动,那么我们的运速就会增加至它的运动速度中 。
If, on the other hand, we aremoving away from them, our speed is subtracted from their speed.
反之,如果我们背向它们运动,那么它们的运速中就会减去地球运速这一部分 。
Now imagine yourself standing at the north pole, facing the direction the earth is moving through space.
现在想想你自己站在北极,面向地球穿过空间移动的方向 。
You rise up magically, far enough away that you can see the whole planet rotating underneath you while you yourself remain stationary.
你奇迹般地上升,远到可以看到整个地球在你的脚下转动,而你自己保持静止 。
Which direction is it turning?
它是在向哪个方向运动呢?
Counterclockwise. Where is thesunlight?
逆时针 。太阳光在哪里呢?
From your perspective, it's on the left side of the planet.
从你的角度来看,在地球的左侧 。
That means that the front of the planet, or the part that's charging into oncoming meteors, is the placewhere morning is beginning for people on earth.
这意味着在地球的前端,或者是在正对流星运动的地方,就是早晨的开始 。
The back of the planet, meaning the part that's movingaway from meteors, is where evening is beginning.
地球的背面,也就是背向流星运动的地方,就是夜晚的开始 。
It may seem funny, but every morning when you look up into the sky, you are looking in the same direction as the planet is moving.
这似乎非常有趣,但是每天早晨当你仰望天空时,你就是望着与地球转动相同的方向 。
In the evening you are looking the other way.
晚上,你就是望着相反的方向 。
And the speed ofshooting stars confirms it!
流星的速度证实了这一点 。