(单词翻译:单击)
YAEL:Good news, Don, I think I've finally mastered schmoozing with strangers.
雅艾尔:唐,告诉你个好消息,我想终于掌握了与陌生人闲谈的诀窍 。
DON:You have?
唐:你有什么秘诀吗?
YAEL:It all has to do with what scientists call trait transference, the process through which observers deduce facts about other people based on the things those people say.
雅艾尔:这一切都与科学家们所谓的特质转移有关,在这一进程中,观察人员根据这些人说的事情演绎别人的事实 。
Researchers studying trait transference conducted an experiment in which they divided participants into two groups.
研究人员进行了一项研究特质转移的实验,他们把参与者们分成两组 。
Members of the first group watched videos of people describing themselves, and members of the second group watched videos of people describing acquaintances.
第一组看描述自己的视频,而第二组则观看人们描述熟人的视频 。
And here's the interesting thing.
而后有趣的事情出现了 。
The observers associated the traits the speakers talked about with the speakers themselves, even if the speakers were describing their acquaintances.
观察人员演讲者谈论的相关特征与演讲者自己联系起来,即使说话人是描述他们的熟人 。
In other words, when you hear a stranger saying someone is mean, you end up thinking the stranger is the mean one.
换句话说,当你听到一个陌生人说别人吝啬,你最终会认为这位陌生人是个吝啬鬼 。
DON:But that makes no sense.
唐:但这简直没有道理 。
YAEL:The researchers were surprised too, and here is what they think happens.
雅艾尔:研究人员也对此发现感到惊讶,接下来就是他们认为发生的事情 。
When a person says something, the first thing you do is figure out the gist of what he or she is saying.
当一个人说了一些事情,你的第一反应是找出他或她说的要点 。
So if I tell you my friend George is mean, the gist of that will be meanness.
所以如果我告诉你我的朋友乔治吝啬,毋庸置疑要点就是吝啬 。
But because I'm the one talking, you begin to associate that trait with me.
但是,因为我是说话者,你开始将这一特点与我联系 。
DON:Kind of like shooting the messenger.
唐:有点像是当头棒喝 。
YAEL:Exactly. And eventually, you forget whether I was talking about myself or someone else, and end up thinking I'm the mean one.
雅艾尔:的确如此 。最终,你忘了我是否在谈论自己或别人,最终会想我是个吝啬鬼 。
DON:So if you say nice things about other people, they'll end up thinking you're the nice one.
唐:所以,如果你说的是别人的好话,他们最终可能会认为你是个不错的家伙 。
YAEL:You got it. I guess that old saying is true:
雅艾尔:现在你明白其中道理了 。我想老话说的都是真理:
if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!
如果你嘴里没好话,那干脆就什么也别说!