(单词翻译:单击)
Don--Don, we're on the air.
嘿,唐,我们正在直播哦 。
Sorry, Yael, just getting in some jumping jacks before work.
抱歉,雅艾尔, 只是在工作之前做些跳跃运动 。
I don't want to be one of the quarter million Americans who die prematurely each year from conditions like diabetes, heart disease, and obesity.
我可不想成为身患糖尿病、心脏病、肥胖症每年过早死的那25万名美国人其中之一 。
Oh brother, another segment about the benefits of exercise.
哦,兄弟,运动的好处还有另一个原因 。
What's the big deal?
还有什么大不了的呢?
Isn't there medicine that takes care of these diseases?
药物不能治疗这些疾病吗?
Well, medication is great for stabilizing existing conditions,
嗯,药物有利于稳定现有的身体状况,
but it doesn't solve the underlying problems-and everybody knows that exercising is good for you.
但并不能解决根本问题,而且每个人都知道锻炼有好处 。
Yes, but now scientists suggest that exercise is even more than that.
是的,但是现在科学家们表明运动还有更广泛的益处 。
The theory is that humans are genetically programmed by evolution to be physically active.
该理论认为人类的身体活动决定自身的基因进化 。
After all, our ancestors spent millions of years hunting and gathering and only the last few thousand years as cultivators.
毕竟,我们的祖先花了数百万年进行狩猎和采摘,而只有过去的几千年才作为庄稼人 。
So cushy office jobs aren't natural?
那轻松的办公室工作不自然吗?
Right. So today, when we think of the average person, we think of someone who doesn't exercise.
是这样的 。所以今天,当我们想到一般人,我们认为这是一个不运动的人 。
And what these scientists are saying is that the biological norm is a person who is very active.
而这些科学家们想表明的是生理正常的人是非常有活力的人 。
I'm not sure I see your point.
我不太我明白你的意思 。
So instead of saying that exercising decreases your risk for certain health problems, it's more correct to say that not exercising increases your risk for those problems.
与其说锻炼会降低你患上特定疾病的风险,不如更准确的说不锻炼会增加患病的风险 。
Your body expects you to exercise, and when you don't, your body is more likely to break down.
你的身体期望自身去锻炼,如果不锻炼身体会垮掉 。
So when you do nothing, you're actually making things worse.
所以当你什么也不做的时候,其实是在让事情变得更糟 。