(单词翻译:单击)
YAEL:Welcome to A Moment of Science, the popular science radio show that's both fun and informative.
雅艾尔:欢迎收听既有趣又增进知识的科普广播节目科学时刻 。
Today's Topic on Moment of Science is:You're Fired.
今天节目的话题是:你被解雇了 。
Hey, did I read that right?
嘿,我这样读对吗?
DON:Yep. You're fired. How do you feel?
唐:没错 。你被解雇了 。你感觉如何?
YAEL:Waddaya mean, how do I feel?
雅艾尔:伙计,你的意思是我的感觉?
DON:I mean, do you feel less healthy than before I fired you?
唐:我的意思是你觉得自己比我解雇你之前健康指数下降了吗?
How's your weight? What about your cholesterol rate?
你的体重如何?你的胆固醇率如何?
YAEL:Okay, okay . . .this is one of your set-ups.
雅艾尔:好吧,好吧 。 。 。原来是你的小计俩 。
I'm not really fired, am I?
我不是真的被开除吧?
DON:Well, no. It's all a cruel ploy to get me to today's subject . . . which is that job insecurity can affect your health.
唐:嗯,肯定不会 。这都是为了引出我今天的主题…即工作的不安全感可以影响你的健康 。
YAEL:Yeah. It just about gave me a heart attack.
雅艾尔:是的 。刚刚那条噩耗差点让我心脏病发作 。
DON:A study in the American Journal of Public Health shows that heart attacks are no joke for people who suspect they are going to be laid off.
唐:一项刊登在《美国公共卫生杂志》的研究表明对于那些忧心忡忡自己会被解雇的人来说,心脏病可不是闹着玩的 。
Over four years, a study group with imperiled jobs was found to have a forty to sixty percent greater occurrence of heart disease than a control group whose jobs were secure.
小组经过4年的研究发现,相比那些工作稳定之人,陷入危机的人心脏病发作的几率要高百分之四十至六十 。
And that's not all.
而且还不止这些 。
People in insecure jobs also gained weight, overslept, tended to avoid exercise, and had higher cholesterol rates.
工作不稳定的人还容易体重增加,失眠,总是拒绝运动,进而胆固醇偏高 。
YAEL:Wow. I guess the shaky economy hurts everything. Even our bodies!
雅艾尔:哇 。我想经济不稳定会有害于一切 。甚至是人们的身体!
DON:Even our bodies.
唐:是的,甚至是我们的身体 。