(单词翻译:单击)
Why does salt melt ice?
为什么食盐能让冰块融化?
It lowers the melting and freezing point of water.
是因为食盐将水的熔点和冰点降低了 。
Oh,OK.Wait,I don't get it. Doesn't that mean the salt make ice colder?
等一下,我不明白 。这就意味着食盐让冰的温度变得更低吗?
Let me explain.Pure water freezes at thirty-two degrees Fahrenheit,right?
我解释一下 。纯净水的冰点是32华氏度,对吧?
At that temperature we can say that the rate of freezing is the same as the rate of melting.
这个温度既是冰点也是熔点 。
So in other words, at water's freezing point there's a sort of equilibrium between freezing and melting.
也就是说,水的冰点就是结冰和融化的平衡 。
Right.Throwing salt on ice upsets the balance.
是的 。在冰上洒盐扰乱了这种平衡 。
Upsets it how?
怎么打乱的呢?
The salt dissolves into the liquid water, which means that some of the water molecules are replaced by salt.
盐溶解在水中,就是说一部分水分子被盐取代了 。
Since there are now fewer liquid water molecules to be captured and frozen by the ice, the rate of freezing drops.
既然结冰的液态水分子减少了,冰点自然降低了 。
I think I get it.And Since the rate of melting stays the same, there's more melting going on than freezing.
我明白了 。水的熔点不变,融化的水分子比结冰的多,
And so the ice melts.
所以冰块就融化了 。
Right.Interesting.
对 。很有趣 。
In fact, anything that dissolves in water will do the trick.
其实,任何溶于水的物质都可以使冰融化 。
You could pour sugar on ice and it will melt.
把糖洒在冰上,冰也会融化 。
But I guess since salt is cheaper it's used more often.
但是我想也许由于盐比较便宜,所以经常被使用 。