(单词翻译:单击)
Feifei:It seems you were an awful student.
飞飞:看来你是个差生 。
Diarmuid:Well, it's true I was never a swot.
戴拉蒙德:嗯,这是真的,我从来就不是swot 。
Feifei:A what?
飞飞:一个什么?
Diarmuid:A swot. S.W.O.T. Swot.Can you guess what it means?
戴拉蒙德:一个swot 。你能猜出它的意思吗?
Feifei:Well, since you say you were not a swot and you got very bad grades at school, I would say that a swot is a very good student.
飞飞:嗯,既然你说你不是一个swot,而你在学校的成绩又非常糟糕,所以我猜swot代表的是非常好的学生 。
Diarmuid:You're right.
戴拉蒙德:完全正确 。
A swot is a student who spends all their time studying, or swotting.
Swot指的是一个把所有的时间用于学习学生 。
Being a swot usually means that other students don't like you. Example
成为这样的人通常意味着其他学生不会喜欢你 。下面就是例子 。
A:Look at this old photo of our class at school.
A:看这张在学校我们班级的老照片 。
B:Oh yes, there's Simon Studious. He was such a swot. I wonder whatever happened to him.
B:哦,是的,这是好学生西蒙 。他真是个学霸 。我想知道他身上发生过什么 。
A:I heard he started his own software company; he's a multi-millionaire now.
我听说他开了自己的软件公司,他现在可是个百万富翁 。
B:Oh. Wish I'd worked a bit harder then.
B:哦 。真后悔当初我没好好用功 。
Diarmuid:But you don't have to be a student to use this word.
戴拉蒙德:但你不必成为一个学生来使用这个词 。
We can use the verb form – to swot up – to mean learn more about anything.
我们可以使用其动词形式—意思是刻苦攻读,意味着学习更多关于任何东西 。
Feifei:So I could say I'm going to swot up on laptops because I want to buy a new computer.
飞飞:所以我可以说我要研究笔记本电脑,因为我想买一台新电脑 。
Diarmuid:You certainly could.
戴拉蒙德:你当然可以 。