(单词翻译:单击)
Hold your hand out and try to keep it perfectly still.
伸出你的双手,试图保持完全静止 。
After a moment, it will probably begin to shake.
过了一会儿可能就会出现颤抖 。
Hold that same hand out just before you give a major presentation to your new boss, and you'll notice that those normal small tremors increase substantially.
同样的动作用在给你的新上司做报告前,你就会发现正常的小颤抖会大幅增加 。
Why? The answer has to do with how nervous feelings influence a response cycle between two parts of your brain.
原因何在?答案在于紧张情绪对大脑两个部分之间反应周期的影响有关 。
These parts are called the basal ganglia and the cortex.
这两个部分被称为基底神经节和大脑皮层 。
In order for your brain to control the steadiness of your hand, the cortex and the basal ganglia exchange signals with each other.
为了让你的大脑稳定控制你的手,皮层和基底神经节互相交换信号 。
First, the cortex sends a signal to the basal ganglia; the basal ganglia, in turn, responds returning a signal to the cortex.
首先,皮层给基底神经节传达信号;反过来基底神经节给大脑皮质传达响应信号 。
These signals are the basis of motor control.
这些信号是动作控制的基础 。
By exchanging signals, the cortex and the basal ganglia allow your hand muscles to hold their position.
通过交换信号,大脑皮层和基底神经节允许你的手部肌肉维持自身位置 。
This cycle of signals repeats continuously the entire time your hand is extended.
这种信号循环在你展开手的整个时间中不断重复 。