(单词翻译:单击)
When you have an itch, you scratch it.
痒痒就挠挠 。
What could be more simple than that?
还有什么比这更简单的吗?
Scratching itches is one of our most basic instincts, one which we share with many other animals.
挠痒是我们与许多其他动物共同具有的最基本的本能之一 。
Have you ever stopped to wonder, mid-scratch, exactly why scratching is so effective against itching?
但你是否在挠舒服的同时停下来想过,为什么抓挠能治痒?
We'll learn the itchy truth, on today's Moment of Science.
我们将在今天的《科学一刻》节目中了解有关发痒的事实, 。
On the most basic level, scratching is a way to remove whatever irritant might be causing the itch in the first place.
从最基本的角度上看, 抓挠首先是一种去除任何可能会导致瘙痒刺激的方式 。
If an insect is biting you, or you have a patch of dead, flaking skin, scratching has a good chance of getting rid of it.
如果一只昆虫咬了你,或者你有一块死皮,皮肤剥落,抓挠很有可能将它弄掉 。
In this case, it's pretty obvious why the scratching works.
这样的情况很明显说明了为什么抓挠会有效 。
Much of the time we scratch, however, it seems to be somewhat after the fact.
大部分时间我们总是在真正痒了之后才会去抓挠 。
Perhaps the mosquito has already bitten us and flown away, and we are left scratching at the swelling bite.
也许蚊子已经吸完血飞走了我们才会抓挠被叮咬的肿胀部分 。
Clearly this won't get rid of the mosquito.
很明显,这不会摆脱蚊子 。
Is there any good reason for this kind of scratching, or is this just an over-zealous instinct that doesn't realize it's too late?
但这种抓挠有什么好的理由,或者只是一种不知道太晚的过度本能吗?
Actually, this kind of scratching can serve two additional functions.
实际上,这样的抓挠可以起到两个额外的作用 。
First, it can stimulate the irritated tissues and cause extra blood to flow to them.
首先可以刺激激扩张组织,使额外的血液流动 。
This can help your immune system remove whatever itchy substances might be below your skin.
这可以帮助你的免疫系统清理在你皮肤下任何可能发痒的物质 。
Second, it can trick your brain into ignoring the annoying itch.
其次是可能会欺骗你的大脑忽略这恼人的痒痒 。
Your nervous system can generally process only one stimulus from a given area of your skin at a time.
你的神经系统通常只能处理一次皮肤特定区域的刺激 。
If you scratch at an area that itches, this new, greater stimulus can override the itching, effectively blocking it out.
如果你抓挠很痒的部位,这种新的、更大的刺激可以覆盖瘙痒,有效地阻止它 。