(单词翻译:单击)
DON:Today's Moment of Science is about lightning bugs.
唐:今天的科学一刻我们要讲的是关于萤火虫 。
Lightning bugs are cool because if you squish 'em you can make...oh, forget it!
萤火虫可是非常酷,因为如果你压扁它们就可以…哦,还是算了吧!
YAEL:What's the problem?
雅艾尔:出了什么问题?
DON:I'm just tired of working for A Moment of Science.
唐:我只是厌倦了今天科学一刻的工作 。
Do you know how hard it is to come up with another fascinating tidbit every day?
你知道每天想出另一个引人入胜的话题有多难么?
I'm going to find a new job.
我要另谋高就了 。
YAEL:I've got a job for you.
雅艾尔:我已经为你找到了一份工作 。
DON:Oh yeah? Does it pay better than this one?
唐:哦,是吗?待遇可比这里更好?
YAEL:I'll let you figure that out.
雅艾尔:我会让你明白的 。
The job lasts for one month, and you only get one penny on the first day.
这份工作持续一个月, 第一天你只能得到1分钱 。
DON:Hey! What kind of deal is that?
唐:嘿!这是个什么活计?
YAEL:Hang on! On the second day I'll pay you twice what you made the first day. That's two pennies.
雅艾尔:坚持听完!第二天我会付给你第一天薪金的2倍 。也就是2分钱 。
DON:Three cents altogether-now we're getting somewhere.
唐:总共3分钱,现在我们总算有些进展 。
YAEL:On the third day I'll again pay you twice what you've made the day before.
雅艾尔:第3天我会再次给你前一天的2倍 。
That's four more cents.
也就是4分钱 。
Every day I'll double the amount made the day before.
就这样每天我都给你前一天的2倍 。
At the end of one month you're out of a job. What do you say?
月末你的工作结束 。你怎么看?
Do you take the offer?
接受吗?
DON:No, of course not. Who would work for pennies?
唐:不,当然不 。谁会为区区几分钱折腰?
YAEL:That's a shame, because you're not realizing how numbers work.
雅艾尔:太遗憾了,因为你没有意识到这些数字是如何变化的 。
When a number continually doubles itself we say it is "increasing geometrically."
当一个数字本身不断翻倍我们说它是以几何数字增加 。
That means the larger the number becomes, the faster it rises with each additional day.
这意味着数字越大,每一天的额外增长就越快 。
How much would you guess you would earn just on the last day of the month?
你猜在月底最后一天你会赚多少钱?
DON:Um...ten bucks?
唐:嗯…十块钱?
YAEL:Over ten million dollars!
雅艾尔:超过一千万美元!
DON:Ten million dollars? Starting from a penny!?!
唐:拿到一千万美元吗?从一分钱开始?
YAEL:That's geometric increase.
雅艾尔:几何增长嘛 。
DON:Hmmm...do I get health insurance too?
唐:额…我自己上了健康保险没?