(单词翻译:单击)
Sure, you think the world is full of solid objects.
世界充满了固体物质,你可能对此深信不疑 。
You think theradio you're listening to is solid.
你会以为,你正在听的收音机是固体的;
You think the floor you'restanding on or the chair you're sitting in is solid.
你正站在上面的地板是固体的;你正坐在上面的椅子是固体的 。
Heck, you probably think that you yourself are a solid object. Wrong.
嘿,你可能说,我自己也是固体呀 。可惜,你错了 。
One of the strangest things modern atomic theory has shownus is that what we commonly take to be the world of solidobjects is for the most part empty space.
现代原子理论带给我们最大的惊奇是,通常被认为是固体的东西其实大部分都是空隙 。
That's right.
确实是这样 。
Even something as reliable as a table, a brick, a baseball, even yourbody, is by and large just empty space.
即使是像桌子,砖头,棒球,甚至你的身体,这些看起来实实在在的东西,其主要构成都是空隙 。
Why is that?
为什么这么说呢?
It's because you, the baseball, and everything else is made up of atoms.
这是因为你也好,棒球也好,其它的任何东西也好,都是由原子构成的,
And atoms themselves are mostly empty space…
而原子本身大部分都是空隙 。
But wait! What about the protons and neutrons and stuff?
不过,等一下!你可能会问,不是还有质子、中子吗?
Well, they're in there, but only in the very center. That's called the nucleus.
它们又在哪里呢?别着急,它们还是在那里,不过只在正中间一点点地方 。所以它们被称为原子核 。
An atom's nucleus is surrounded by a cloud of orbiting electrons.
原子核的周围环绕着一团按轨道运行的电子群 。
Virtually all the mass of the atom—the stuff and not the fluff-is in the nucleus.
事实上,粗略地说,原子的重量就是原子核的重量,
And the nucleus is incredibly tiny compared tothe overall size of the atom.
尽管与整个原子相比,原子核小得不可思议 。
In fact, it's about a hundred thousand times smaller.
具体地说,原子核比原子小十万倍 。
It's like aspeck of dust floating around inside a cathedral.
形象地说,原子核与原子就如同一粒漂浮的微尘与大教堂,
In between the dust speck and the cathedral walls is nothing but space.
而灰尘和教堂的墙壁之间没有任何东西-全是空隙 。
So you are made up of things that are mostly empty space, with occasional specks floating inthem.
所以你就是由这样的东西构成的:它们基本上都是空隙,几颗微尘漂浮其间 。
Does it make you feel kind of empty, too?
这是否让你感到某种空虚?
Don't worry. Every other object in the world,from a pebble to Mount Everest, is the same way.
别担心 。世上所有一切,从小小的鹅卵石到巍巍喜马拉雅山,也都是这样构成的 。