(单词翻译:单击)
It's eleven o'clock Sunday morning, and you've just woken up after a late night of carousing.
现在是周日上午11点,而你刚从前一晚的狂欢过后醒来 。
You stumble out of bed, brace yourself on the bathroom sink and blink into the mirror.
你跌跌撞撞地走下床,双手撑在盥洗台上,睡眼惺忪地看向镜子 。
There, under your eyes, are dark, puffy patches that make you look like an NFL linebacker.
看到了吗,你眼睛下面那深色浮肿的眼袋,让你看起来像美国橄榄球联盟的后卫队员 。
I need more sleep, you think, fingering the dark spots. And so you stumble back to bed.
用手抚摸着黑眼袋,你想,我需要更多的睡眠 。于是你又踉跄着回到床上 。
You may indeed need to sleep a bit longer, but despite the common misconception, dark circlesand puffiness under or around your eyes appear to have little to do with lack of sleep.
也许你的确需要多睡一会儿,尽管有着普遍的误解,但眼周或眼底的黑眼圈和浮肿似乎与睡眠不足没有太大的关系 。
In fact, what seems to be a fairly common and hence supposedly explainable phenomenon remains something of a mystery to scientists.
事实上,这个看起来相当容易解释的常见现象对科学家们来说却仍然是个谜 。
What scientists do know is that the skin under the eyes is very thin and sensitive.
科学家们所知道的是,眼底的皮肤非常薄,非常敏感 。
When for avariety of reasons blood and other fluids accumulate in the area under your eyes, the delicacy ofthe skin makes the fluid's color partly visible.
当由于种种原因,血液和其他液体在眼底部位积聚时,这层细腻的皮肤就会使得液体的颜色浮现出来 。
This is what appears to account for the dark patches.
这似乎才是黑眼圈形成的原因 。
Allergies may also be to blame.
过敏也是可能的原因之一 。
An allergic reaction can cause cells under the skin of the eyes torelease histamine, a chemical that causes fluid accumulation and swelling.
过敏反应导致眼底皮肤细胞释放出组胺,这种化学物质会引起积液和皮肤肿胀 。
This is what appears tocause puffy eyes.
这似乎才是眼袋形成的原因 。
And finally, there is heredity.
最后还有遗传因素的影响 。
Do your parents have dark circles under their eyes?
你的父母是否有黑眼圈?
If so, you mayhave found the source for your own dark circles.
如果有,也许你就能够找到你有黑眼圈的原因 。