《绝望的主妇》第217期:不愿意放弃的玩伴
日期:2014-11-10 16:02

(单词翻译:单击)

原文试听


It is often said that necessity is the mother of invention.
常言道:需要是创造之母。
This is how mothers came to invent play dates.
所以母亲们才想出了玩伴这个主意。
So occasionally they could have a little time for themselves.
这样他们就能有点属于自己的时间。
If you need me, I’ll be at the salon.
有事去发廊找我。
But there are some mothers who don’t get to take advantage of this maternal innovation. Mothers like Lynette Scavo...
不过有些母亲没法享受这一创造带来了快乐,比如Lynette Scavo。
...who was no longer able to rest on weekends...
她即使到了周末也没法休息。
Guys, stop it! Stop it, I mean it, come on!
伙计们,停下来!停下来!我很严肃,快点。
...because her twins no longer received play date invitations.
因为她的双胞胎儿子没有自己的玩伴。
Ever since they had convinced Sasha Eden’s boy that a pair of magic wings would allow him to fly.
因为他们俩曾经对Sasha Eden的儿子说一对有魔法的翅膀能让他飞起来。
And they had double-dared Sharon Chazin’s boy to ride his bike blindfolded.
因为他们曾让Sharon Chazin的儿子蒙着眼睛骑自行车。
And they had encouraged Lisa Seigmann’s boy to try an exciting new game called, ‘Toss the Brick.'
因为他们怂恿Lisa Siegmann的儿子玩一个叫做“扔砖头”的新游戏。
The Scavo twins had become persona-non-grata...
Scavo家的双胞胎成了不受欢迎的人,
...and Lynette’s secret dream of being able to take an occasional nap on Saturdays was growing dimmer and dimmer.
而Lynette周六能偶尔打个盹的梦想则变得越来越渺茫。
Until one day...
直到有一天...
Hey, hey, hey, Porter, Preston, knock it off. All right, did you hear me, I said stop it. Stand up. Stand up! Come here!
嘿,嘿,嘿,嘿,Porter,Preston 别打了!没听见我说话吗?别打了!站起来!站起来,到这来。
I’m so sorry. Did my sons beat you up?
对不起,我儿子打你了吗?
No, we were beating them up.
没有,我们在打他们。
Is that true? Did they beat you up?
真的?他们在打你?
Ah, it didn’t hurt that much.
恩,一点不疼。
Jimmy, PJ, what are you doing? What have I told you about ganging up on people? I am so sorry.
Jimmy, P.J. 你们在干吗?说过多少次了不可以打架!对不起。
Ah, no, it’s, it’s okay. Believe me; my boys can take care of themselves.
没关系。我儿子自己能管好自己。
If they got hurt at all, I’ll pay for the doctor bills.
如果他们哪受伤了,我来付医药费。
No, not to worry. I got the feeling they were sort of enjoying themselves.
不用了,别担心,我倒觉得他们很玩的来
Really?
真的?
What would you say to bringing your boys over to my house and letting them hang out with mine sometime?
要不以后你们把孩子带到我家来有空一起和我儿子玩玩?
And that’s how Lynette finally got what she needed...
Lynette现在终于得到她一直梦寐以求的
...time for herself, and play dates for her kids.
属于自己的时间,还为自己孩子找到了玩伴...
I’m sorry, but my boys decided to have a rock fight with your boys.
不好意思,我儿子和你们孩子打石头仗了。
It was fun!
好好玩啊!
Play dates she was determined to keep...
几位她不愿意放弃的玩伴
Well, they look fine to me.
呃,我看没什么事。
...at all costs.
不顾一切。
Same time next week?
下周同一时间?
Okay.
好的

影视精讲


take advantage of: 利用
How can you take advantage of their support?
你将如何利用他们支持的优势?

knock it off: 不要这样子
Will you two pea brains knock it off?
你们两个蠢蛋能停下来吗?
Knock it off or you'll get into a mess.
停手,否则你会有麻烦的。

beat up: 痛打
You nickname all the girls you beat up?
你给所有揍过的女孩取绰号?

gang up on: 联合起来对待
Ought not gang up on a man three-to-one.
不该三个联合起来对付一个。
In elementary they'd gang up on me and sang this song.
他们联合起来反对我,并且时常唱着这首歌。

at all costs: 不惜任何代价,无论如何
Parents are hard-wired to keep their child alive at all costs.
父母天生地会不惜一切代价挽救自己孩子的生命。

分享到
重点单词
  • tossn. 投掷,震荡 v. 投掷,摇荡,辗转
  • portern. 搬运工,门房,(火车卧铺车厢或豪华车厢的)乘务员,
  • determinedadj. 坚毅的,下定决心的
  • necessityn. 需要,必需品,必然
  • inventvt. 发明,创造,捏造
  • convincedadj. 信服的
  • inventionn. 发明,发明物,虚构,虚构物
  • occasionallyadv. 偶尔地
  • advantagen. 优势,有利条件 vt. 有利于
  • beatv. 打败,战胜,打,敲打,跳动 n. 敲打,拍子,心跳