《绝望的主妇》第2期:轻声点,大家都在看
日期:2013-01-07 11:50

(单词翻译:单击)

原文视听

NARRATOR: I was laid to rest on a Monday. After the funeral, all the residents of Wisteria Lane came to pay their respects. And as people do in this situation, they brought food.
星期一人们把我安葬了。葬礼之后,所有住在wisteria lane人都来表示他们对我的怀念和尊敬,就像人们在这种情况下通常会做的,他们送来点吃的。
NARRATOR: Lynette Scavo brought fried chicken. Lynette had a great family recipe for fried chicken.
Lynette Scavo带了炸鸡。Lynette有一个大家庭,大家都喜欢炸鸡。
NARRATOR: Of course, she didn't cook much as she was moving up the corporate ladder. She didn't have the time.
当然,当她还是个职业女性的时候,她很少做饭。她没有时间。
NARRATOR: But when her doctor announced Lynette was pregnant, her husband Tom had an idea. Why not quit your job? Kids do much better with stayathome mums; it was so much less stressful.
但是当她的医生告诉她怀孕了的时候,他的丈夫Tom想了个办法。为什么不辞职呢?妈妈待在家里带出来的孩子会比较好,而且这样压力也比较小。
NARRATOR: But this was not the case.
但是事实并非如此。
NARRATOR: In fact, Lynette's life had become so hectic she was now forced to get her chicken from a fast food restaurant. Lynette would have appreciated the irony of it if she stopped to think about it, but she couldn't. She didn't have the time.
事实上,Lynette的生活变得如此兴奋,她不得不去快餐店买一只炸鸡。Lynette 如果仔细想想,可能会明白这是反话,但是她不能,她没有时间。
LYNETTE: Hey, hey, hey, hey! Stop it, stop it, stop it. Stop it.
嗨,嗨,嗨,嗨!住手!
PRESTON: But Mom!
但是,妈妈!
LYNETTE: No, you are going to behave today. I am not going to be humiliated in front of the entire neighborhood. And, just so you know how serious I am...
不,你们今天乖一点。我不想在大家面前丢脸。我是认真的……
PRESTON: What's that?
那是什么?
LYNETTE: Santa's cellphone number.
Santa的电话号码。
PORTER: How'd you get that?
你怎么知道的?
LYNETTE: I know someone, who knows someone, who knows an elf. And if anyone of you acts up, so help me, I will call Santa and tell him you want socks for Christmas. You willing to risk that?
我认识个朋友,她的朋友里有人认识一个小恶魔。所以,今天如果你们谁捣蛋,我马上打电话给Santa,我会告诉他,你们圣诞节只要短袜就可以了。想试试么?
SCAVO kids: Uhuh!
唔!
LYNETTE: Okay. Let's get this over with.
好的。好,那么我们把这个收起来。
NARRATOR: Gabrielle Solis, who lives down the block, brought a spicy paella.
Gabrielle Solis,住在街区的后面,带了辣肉菜饭。
NARRATOR: Since her modeling days in New York, Gabrielle had developed a taste for rich food and rich men. Carlos, who worked in mergers and acquisitions, proposed on their third date. Gabrielle was touched when tears welled up in his eyes.
自从她开始在纽约当模特以来,她对食物和有钱男人的品味渐渐提高。Carlos在并购公司上班,在他们第三次约会的时候,他向Gabrielle求婚了。当Gabrielle看见他眼眶中的泪水时,被感动了。
NARRATOR: But she soon discovered this happened every time Carlos closed a big deal.
但是她很快发现,每当Carlos成功靠近一些大人物时都会这样。
NARRATOR: Gabrielle liked her paella piping hot. However, her relationship with her husband was considerably cooler.
Gabrielle喜欢她那些新鲜的肉菜饭。但是她和她丈夫的关系很冷淡。
CARLOS: If you talk to Al Mason at this thing, I want you to casually mention how much I paid for your necklace.
如果今天早上你跟Al Mason交谈,我希望你能装着很随意的提起我花了多少钱给你买这条项链。
GABRIELLE: Why don't I just pin the receipt to my chest?
我干脆在胸前贴一个价目条好了?
CARLOS: He let me know how much he paid for his wife's new convertible. Look, just work it into the conversation.
他上次告诉我他为他妻子的折篷汽车花了多少。看,只要在聊天的时候插入就可以了。
GABRIELLE: There's no way I can just work that in, Carlos.
我怎么插得进去嘛,Carlos。
CARLOS: Why not? At the Donohue party, everyone was talking about mutual funds. And you found a way to mention you slept with half the Yankee outfield.
为什么?Donoghue聚会上,每个人都在谈论那些什么共有基金。你却说什么你和那些扬基队一半的外场球员睡过。
GABRIELLE: I'm telling you, it came up in the context of the conversation.
我告诉过你了,当时他们在说这些。
CARLOS: Hey, people are starting to stare. Can you keep your voice down please?
喂,大家都在看,轻点,好么?
GABRIELLE: Absolutely. Wouldn't want them to think we're not happy.
当然,我可不希望他们认为我们不和。

影片简介

在Mary Alice Young 描述自己拥有的完美生活的画外音中,她对准自己的太阳穴扣动了扳机。Mary的自杀震惊了她最亲密的四个朋友,而她们自己的生活也充满了纷乱的变数。单身母亲Susan对新搬来的邻居Mike一见倾心,在女儿Julie的怂恿下,她主动送去了乔迁新居的贺礼。但是英俊的Mike还吸引了Edie Britt,这个多次离婚的性感女人请Mike去看一下。

划红精讲

简单短语:

1. think about: 考虑

2. in this situation: 在这种情况下

3. talk to sb.: 和……说话 talk at: 对……唠叨不休

eg. I wish he'd talk to me rather than at me.
我希望和他交谈,而不是听他喋喋不休。

4. be forced to: 被迫做

eg. Or in an emergency you might be forced to sell it.
或者你遇到紧急情况,你就要被迫卖掉它。

5. How'd you=how would you

eg. How'd you get that way, and what benefits have you seen?
你觉得那些方法怎么样? 你从中得到什么好处没?

名词短语:

1. a big deal: 要人

2. mergers and acquisitions: 兼并与收购

今日学习:

1. lay to rest: 安葬;消除

eg. Let me lay to rest the bugaboo of what is called "devaluation".
让我来为你们驱除叫做“贬值”的“恶魔”。

2. move up the corporate ladder: 升官;升迁 corporate ladder: 公司的官阶

eg. It takes hard work and a little bit of help and luck to move up the corporate ladder.
在一个企业里想要升迁,必须努力工作,再加上一点他人的帮助和运气。

3. act up: 行动倔强, 任性【这里指捣蛋,淘气】

eg. The children always act up when their mother is out.
母亲外出时,孩子总是在家调皮捣蛋。

4. get over with: 〈口〉一劳永逸地做完,把……做完了事

eg. Maybe we need an event to get over with the trauma for good.
也许我们需要一个事件来彻底摆脱过去的伤害。

5. well up: 涌出,涌现(文中welled是well的过去式,流出)

eg. Pity welled up in her heart as she watched the disabled child.
当她看到那个残疾孩子的时候,怜悯之心涌上心头。

5. work in(to): 插进,穿入

eg. After you insert the code snippet, you modify it to work in your application.
插入程式码片段后,您可以修改它以符合应用程式需要。

6. there's no way: 没有办法

eg. There's no way to read a book on a tablet at the beach, or in the park.
要想在公园或海滨的长椅上用平板电脑看电子书,简直就是白日做梦。

7. sleep with: 与……做爱

He was old enough to sleep with a girl and make her pregnant.
他年龄已经够大了,能够跟女孩发生性关系并使她怀孕。

8. come up: 提到,提及

eg. The subject came up at work.
这一话题在工作时被提及。

分享到
重点单词
  • appreciatedvt. 欣赏;感激;领会;鉴别 vi. 增值;涨价
  • starev. 凝视,盯着看 n. 凝视 v. 显眼,(毛发
  • contextn. 上下文,环境,背景
  • modifyv. 修改,修饰,更改
  • blockn. 街区,木块,石块 n. 阻塞(物), 障碍(物)
  • trauman. 精神创伤,外伤
  • laddern. 梯子,阶梯,梯状物 n. (袜子)抽丝 v.
  • coden. 码,密码,法规,准则 vt. 把 ... 编码,制
  • pityn. 同情,怜悯,遗憾,可惜 v. 同情,怜悯
  • touchedadj. 受感动的 adj. 精神失常的