《绝望的主妇》第118期:有得必有失
日期:2014-04-07 20:45

(单词翻译:单击)

原文视听


Checking out the new executive digs?
来看新的行政主管?
Oh, you know it.
哦,你明白的。
Can I tell you a little secret?
我能告诉你一个小秘密吗?
Sure.
当然。
Dan wanted to hold the promotion over for Tim Doogan
DAN想要把晋升的机会留给TIM DUGGAN
and I'm the one that convinced him to give it to Tom.
而我说服了他把机会给TOM。
Really?
真的?
Uh-huh. Tom is such a workhorse and he wanted it so badly.
嗯哼,TOM是一个不折不扣的工作狂,他非常想得到这次机会。
Yeah, he certainly did.
是啊, 他的确是。
What is wrong? Aren't you happy about this promotion?
怎么了? 你不为这次升职开心吗?
Lynette realized it was in her best interest to lie to the boss's wife.
LYNETTE意识到她最好对老板的妻子撒个谎...
Well, it's great, obviously. Thank you.
非常开心, 当然了。谢谢。
Provided she wasn't too convincing.
倘若她的话不是那么令人信服。
Of course, I mean, I will miss him being gone all the time.
当然,我是说, 我会想他的一直奔波在外。
He'll be bringing in more money, but he is gonna miss the birthdays,baseball games, first steps.
他能赚回更多的钱,但他也将错过生日庆祝,棒球比赛,婴儿迈出的头几步...
That's the trade-off, right?
有得必有,对吧?
I just hope one day Tom doesn't look back and regret being gone so much.
我只是希望某一天,TOM不会回顾过去并后悔离家太久。
I better get out there before they break something.
嗯, 我最好赶在他们打破什么之前过去。
Of course, I will see you soon.
好的, 以后见。

影视精讲


hold over: 推迟,延迟
Let's hold over discussion of this problem until our next meeting.
让我们下次会议再讨论这个问题。
Further voting might be held over until tomorrow...
下一步投票可能要推到明天。

lie to: 对…撒谎
Don't lie to me.You know damn well what was happening.
别瞒我了,你压根就很清楚发生了什么事。

bring in: 产生,引进【这里引申为赚钱】
It would be fatal to bring in outsider.
把外人引进来可能招致灾难。
I have three part-time jobs, which bring in about £14,000 a year.
我有3份兼职工作,一年能挣大约14,000英镑。

trade-off: 交替换位
The newspaper's headline indicates that there was a trade-off at the summit.
报纸的大字标题表明峰会上大家作出了妥协。

分享到
重点单词
  • baseballn. 棒球
  • fataladj. 致命的,毁灭性的,决定性的
  • summitn. 顶点;最高阶层 vi. 参加最高级会议,爬到最高点
  • executiveadj. 行政的,决策的,经营的,[计算机]执行指令 n
  • votingn. 投票 动词vote的现在分词形式
  • convincingadj. 使人信服的,有力的,令人心悦诚服的 vbl.
  • convincedadj. 信服的
  • promotionn. 晋升,促进,提升