(单词翻译:单击)
情景对话
Todd: Hey, Jeff this is a very nice apartment.
托德:嗨,杰夫,这个公寓真不错 。
Jeff: Hmm. It's comfortable. It's cozy. Japanese style.
杰夫:嗯 。舒服又温馨 。这是日式公寓 。
Todd: I like it. It's got the tatami mat, small kitchen. Do you live alone?
托德:我喜欢这间公寓 。有榻榻米,还有间小厨房 。你是一个人住吗?
Jeff: I live alone but right now I have a friend of mine staying with me.
杰夫:我是一个人住,不过现在有个朋友和我住在一起 。
Todd: Oh, really, a roommate.
托德:哦,室友 。
Jeff: Sort of like a roommate, yes. A short term, he's staying with me short-term, so yes a roommate.
杰夫:有点儿像室友 。他只是暂时和我住在一起,对,是室友 。
Todd: OK, how's that going?
托德:好,感觉怎么样?
Jeff: Ah, I don't like it.
杰夫:我不喜欢 。
Todd: Why?
托德:为什么?
Jeff: He's lazy. He's messy. He drinks too much. He doesn't exercise and he doesn't contribute any money to the rent.
杰夫:他又懒又邋遢还酗酒 。他不锻炼,也不帮我分担房租 。
Todd: Ooh, so he lives here and he doesn't give you any money?
托德:哦,那他住在这里可是没有付你房租吗?
Jeff: Well, yeah, he doesn't give me any money. The money's not so bad, though, it's just that he's lazy and he doesn't do much all day.
杰夫:对,他并没有付我钱 。其实房租还不是最糟糕的,主要是他太懒了,一整天都不怎么动 。
Todd: That's got to be pretty annoying.
托德:那真是很烦人 。
Jeff: He's a great fellow. He's a good friend of mine, but, yeah, he's, I try to motivate him to do a few things but he's a tough one.
杰夫:他人不错,是我的好朋友,我试图激励他去做一些事情,不过很难 。
Todd: Are you going to tell him he has to move out?
托德:你会告诉他让他搬出去吗?
Jeff: Ah, no, he's a smart man. He knows. He knows. He knows the deal. He knows what's going on and I think he's, yeah, I would never ask him to move out because I don't mind having him here but I'm just going to try to whip him into shape.
杰夫:不会,他是个聪明人 。他知道,他知道情况,这些他都知道,所以我想我不会让他搬出去,因为我并不介意他住在这里,不过我会努力帮他塑造形象 。
Todd: Oh, so you're just going to try to change him so he becomes a better roommate?
托德:所以你要试图去改变他,使他成为更好的室友?
Jeff: I'm going to be like a woman and try to, yeah, try to get him a better schedule, a better schedule (yeah) like exercise and eating right and less smoking and less drinking.
杰夫:我会去做女性做的事情,帮他制定一份更好的时间表,让他去锻炼、合理饮食、少吸烟、少喝酒 。
Todd: Well, what is his schedule?
托德:那他现在的生活是什么样的?
Jeff: Ah, his schedule is, he's like a night owl, he stays up most of the night drinking, and then he sleeps most of the day recovering, and then when he gets up he has a hangover. He's a bit sluggish and slow, so it's not a healthy lifestyle.
杰夫:他的日常安排,他是个夜猫子,他晚上经常熬夜,大部分时间都在喝酒,他白天睡觉来恢复精神,起床的时候会有宿醉的感觉 。他行动有些缓慢,这是不健康的生活方式 。
Todd: Yeah, it doesn't sound like it. Good luck.
托德:对,听上去并不健康 。祝你好运 。
Jeff: No problem.
杰夫:谢谢 。
译文属可可原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载
重点讲解
重点讲解:
1. contribute to
(为…)做贡献;
eg. His experience contribute greatly to the success of his novel.
他的经历对他的小说的成功帮助很大 。
eg. Proper rest and enough sleep contribute to longevity.
适当的休息和足够的睡眠有益于长寿 。
2. motivate sb. to dos th.
激励某人做某事;
eg. Stock options are a good way to motivate employees to work harder.
股票选择权是激励员工更努力工作的好方法 。
eg. Your trainer will motivate you to keep with the training program.
你的教练将会激励你坚持完成健身计划 。
3. whip sb./sth. into shape
把…训练好;使…符合要求;
eg. The sergeant will whip the soldiers into shape.
警官严格塑造士兵的军人形象 。
eg. Few people doubt his ability to whip the economy into shape.
几乎无人怀疑他整顿经济的能力 。
4. stay up
深夜不睡;熬夜;
eg. We stayed up yarning until midnight.
我们讲故事一直讲到半夜才睡 。
eg. Mary's father will not permit her to stay up late.
玛丽的父亲不允许她熬夜 。