(单词翻译:单击)
情景对话
Todd: Hello, can you introduce yourself please.
托德:你好,请做下自我介绍 。
Carla: Hi, my name is Carla Edes. And where I'm from is a little difficult, because I grew up in Canada. But then I moved to Africa. Then I moved to England, and now I've been living in Japan for fourteen years.
卡拉:你好,我叫卡拉·埃德斯 。至于我来自哪里,这有些复杂,因为我在加拿大长大,之后去了非洲,然后又去了英国,现在我已经在日本生活了四年 。
Todd: Wow. That's amazing you've been on four continents.
托德:哇 。你在四个大陆生活过,这太不可思议了 。
Carla: Yes, four continents.
卡拉:对,四个大陆 。
Todd: Where did you grow up in Canada?
托德:你在加拿大的哪里长大?
Carla: In Canada, I grew up in Vancouver.
卡拉:我在加拿大温哥华长大 。
Todd: Oh cool West Coast.
托德:哦,西海岸 。
Carla: West Coast. Very nice place.
卡拉:对,西海岸 。非常棒的地方 。
Todd: See that's why I like you, cuz I'm from San Francisco. I'm also a West Coast person.
托德:这就是我喜欢你的原因,因为我来自旧金山 。我也是来自西海岸的人 。
Carla: Ah, that's why our accents are similar.
卡拉:啊,这就是我们的口音相似的原因 。
Todd: Very similar, yes.
托德:对,非常相似 。
Carla: Ya.
卡拉:是啊 。
Todd: Ya very interesting. So what's it like growing up in Vancouver?
托德:真有意思 。在温哥华长大怎么样?
Carla: Wonderful. It's got mountains for skiing and hiking. And I went to UBC, so I had, I was right there, could do all those lovely things. Leave school on Friday night, ski all weekend, get back to school seven o'clock Monday morning.
卡拉:很棒 。那里有很多山区,可以滑雪和徒步旅行 。我上的是加拿大不列颠哥伦比亚大学,在那里可以做所有这些美好的事情 。周五晚上离开学校,然后整个周末时间都用来滑雪,周一早上七点再返回学校 。
Todd: Wow, sounds fun. Now, UBC is University of British Columbia?
托德:哇,听起来很有趣 。你说的是加拿大英属哥伦比亚大学吗?
Carla: Right.
卡拉:没错 。
Todd: OK, is that the major university in British Columbia?
托德:好,那是英属哥伦比亚省的重点大学吗?
Carla: Yes.
卡拉:是的 。
Todd: OK. What did you study at university?
托德:好 。你大学时学的什么专业?
Carla: Biology.
卡拉:生物学 。
Todd: Biology? Did you ever want to become a biologist?
托德:生物?你曾经想成为一名生物学家吗?
Carla: I actually wanted to become a doctor.
卡拉:实际上我想当一名医生 。
Todd: OK.
托德:好 。
Carla: And then I got foiled in that. So then I studied, I did research in the biology department there. Then I went to England where I met my husband. Then he went out to Africa. So he wrote me a letter saying "come to Africa". So I wrote him a letter back saying "OK, get me a job". So he did.
卡拉:可是我没考上 。于是我就念了生物系 。之后我去了英国,而且遇到了我的丈夫 。后来他去了非洲 。他寄给我的信上写着“来非洲吧 。”我回信说“好,给我找份工作 。”然后他照办了 。
Todd: What was your job in Africa?
托德:你在非洲做什么工作?
Carla: Teaching, that's when I started teaching.
卡拉:教书,我就是从那时开始教学生涯的 。
Todd: Wow. Sounds romantic.
托德:哇 。听上去真浪漫 。
Carla: Ya quite romantic. But the really romantic thing was, we got married. When we got married, we got married in Ghana. And we put all our worldly possessions on the back of our motorbike which was sauce pans and a bed roll and a few pieces of clothes. And we motorbiked across Togo and across what was then Dahomey, but is now Benin into Nigeria.
卡拉:是啊,非常浪漫 。不过真正浪漫的事情是我们结婚了 。我们是在加纳结的婚 。我们把所有的家当放在摩托车后面,平底锅、一个睡垫还有几件衣服就是我们的全部家当 。然后我们骑着摩托车穿过多哥和达荷美(现称多宁)后到达了尼日利亚 。
Todd: Wow.
托德:哇 。
Carla: That's romantic, don't you think?
卡拉:你不认为那很浪漫吗?
Todd: Yes, very much so.
托德:是啊,非常浪漫 。
译文属可可原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载
重点讲解
重点讲解:
1. be from
来自;
eg. The little girl is from the Big apple.
这个女孩来自纽约 。
eg. Where he is from is of no consequence to me.
他来自何方对我来说并不重要 。
2. grow up
长大成人;成熟;
eg. In some of the more remote hollows, children still grow up hearing songs of Elizabethan times.
在一些较偏远的山谷里,孩子们成长过程中听到的仍是伊丽莎白时代的歌曲 。
eg. He did not have a chance to grow up graciously.
他没有机会在一个良好的环境下成长 。
3. get married
结婚;嫁;娶;
eg. They defied their parents and got married.
他们违抗父母的意愿而结婚了 。
eg. She is old enough that she can get married.
她已达到可结婚的年龄 。