(单词翻译:单击)
情景对话
Todd: OK, Adrienne, let's talk about abilities. What are you good at?
托德:好的,埃德里安娜,我们谈谈能力吧 。你擅长什么?
Adrienne: Um, I don't know.
埃德里安娜:嗯,我不清楚 。
Todd: You don't know?
托德:你不清楚?
Adrienne: I really don't know!
埃德里安娜:我真的不知道!
Todd: Well, I was looking at your photos, and you can play the violin.
托德:嗯,好吧,我在看你的照片,你会拉小提琴 。
Adrienne: That's true!
埃德里安娜:没错!
Todd: And you can sing very well.
托德:而且你歌也唱得非常好 。
Adrienne: Ah, I can sing some.
埃德里安娜:嗯,我可以唱些歌 。
Todd: OK, so, tell us about playing the violin.
托德:好,那跟我们谈谈小提琴的事情吧 。
Adrienne: I really enjoy playing the violin. I've been playing for many, many years since I was a little girl and everyone in my family plays an instrument so it's part of what we do together as a family.
埃德里安娜:我非常喜欢拉小提琴 。我已经练了很多年,从小时候开始练的,我家里所有人都会演奏一种乐器,所以这是我们一家人一起做的事情 。
Todd: So when you were little you practiced every day?
托德:那你小时候每天都练习吗?
Adrienne: I did. My mom made me. I didn't have a choice. It's good for discipline though, or at least that's what she told me.
埃德里安娜:没错 。我妈妈让我这样做 。我没有选择 。虽然这对训练有帮助,至少我妈妈是这么告诉我的 。
Todd: So, how would you practice? Did you have a tutor come over to your house?
托德:那你怎么练习呢?你们请了指导老师去你家授课吗?
Adrienne: No, I had a violin teacher once a week and when I was really small I went to group lessons also, so it was once a week with a private and once a week with a group.
埃德里安娜:不,我有一个小提琴老师,每周上一次课,我很小的时候去上小班课程,所以当时是私人老师一周上一次课,小班课程一周上一次 。
Todd: Wow! That's a lot. What did you think about the violin when you were little?
托德:哇!课很多啊 。你小时候怎么看小提琴?
Adrienne: I don't remember thinking about it. I don't even remember learning how to play. I was only two so (so young) I know. I was still in diapers, but my mom said that when I had my first recital that I really wanted to play in the recital and she said I absolutely could not play on stage in a diaper so that's basically how she got me out of my diapers. So she says!
埃德里安娜:我不记得我怎么看它了 。我甚至不记得学习演奏的情景 。我当时只有两岁(好小啊),我知道 。我当时还穿着尿布呢,不过我妈妈在我第一次参加演奏会时说,我非常想在演奏会中表演,而她说,我绝对不能裹着尿布在舞台上演奏,所以她说她就是那样让我摆脱尿布的 。她就是那么说的!
Todd: When did you stop playing?
托德:你什么时候不再演奏小提琴了?
Adrienne: I haven't stopped.
埃德里安娜:我从没停过 。
Todd: Oh, you still practice.
托德:哦,你仍在练习 。
Adrienne: I still play although I don't have my violin here in Japan, right now. I'm kind of on a break I guess. I just don't like to carry it around overseas.
埃德里安娜:我仍在练习,不过目前我在日本并没有小提琴 。我想这是种休息吧 。我并不想带着它出国 。
Todd: Is it hard to be away from your violin?
托德:离开你的小提琴很难吗?
Adrienne: It is sometimes. I miss it. I miss playing with my family too, cause we're kind of like the Van Trapp family, which you know from the movie The Sound of Music.
埃德里安娜:有时 。我会想它 。我很想念和家人一起演奏的感觉,因为我们有点像冯·特普一家,你知道就是电影《音乐之声》中的那个家庭 。
Todd: No, no, I don't. I've never seen the movie.
托德:不,不,我不知道 。我没看过那部电影 。
Adrienne: Oh, you haven't? The Sound of Music is about a family in, I think it's Austria and they all play an instrument or sing and it's a World War II movie and that's how they escape the Nazis, from singing or something. It's kind of like that, except for without the war.
埃德里安娜:哦,你没看过吗?《音乐之声》是一个有关奥地利家庭的故事,他们所有人都会演奏乐器或者会唱歌,背景是第二次世界大战期间,讲的是他们如何通过唱歌逃离纳粹的故事 。我们有点像那个家庭,当然我们并没有遇到战争 。
Todd: Well, I have to see the movie so!
托德:嗯,我一定要看看这部电影!
Adrienne: Yeah, you should.
埃德里安娜:对,你应该看看 。
Todd: So are you going to play the violin for me sometime?
托德:那你有时间可以为我演奏小提琴吗?
Adrienne: Sure! If you can find a violin I will.
埃德里安娜:当然!如果你能找到一部小提琴,我会演奏的 。
重点讲解
重点讲解:
1. be good at
擅长的;精通的;能干的;
eg. A versatile person is often good at a number of different things.
多才多艺的人通常擅长许多种不同的事情 。
eg. He is good at his job but he seems to lack confidence.
他工作不错,但似乎缺乏信心 。
2. be good for
有利的;有益的;
eg. Rain water was once considered to be good for the complexion.
雨水曾一度被认为可以滋养皮肤 。
eg. Eucalyptus oil is good for easing muscular aches and pains.
桉树油可以很好地缓解肌肉的疼痛 。
3. come over
从远处来;顺便来访;
eg. You really must come over sometime and have dinner with us.
你确实应该找个时间过来,跟我们一起吃顿饭 。
eg. She'll come over in a week or two.
她过一两个星期就来 。
4. get out of
摆脱;逃避;
eg. It's amazing what people will do to get out of paying taxes.
人们为逃税而做出的种种事情令人吃惊 。
eg. Some men would do anything to get out of the war.
一些人在为避免战争而奔波 。
5. except for
除了;除…之外;唯有;
eg. The weather was good except for an occasional shower.
除下了一阵大雨外,天气还是很好的 。
eg. Except for a small pang, her headache has gone.
除了偶有不适外,她的头痛已经好了 。