(单词翻译:单击)
情景对话
Todd: So Norm, you said you have a pretty good story about going hiking and you almost got dehydrated.
托德:诺姆,你说过你有一个关于远足的好故事要讲,那次远足中你几乎都脱水了 。
Norm: Yes, it was, we were on our first day of, it was a six day hiking trip in a national park in Quebec, Canada, and I had not done the itinerary, but my friend had figured out that the first day we could walk 19 1/2 kilometers in the wilderness. I mentioned that, I would have gone for 10 kilometers, do the first stop at the first campsite, but I didn't realize that he was more optimistic than I was, and so we started out on our first day and very heavy backpack, about 24 kilograms, and very hot day, 30, 32 degrees with hot humid day, and the first day was up and down, up and down, all the time, so at the end of the day, mistake number 1 was we passed sort of a small river and we didn't refill our bottles because we thought we were almost at our destination, the lake, but it was further than we thought so we ran out of water and darkness set upon us and we were up on a huge rock, and what had happened was, we were at the lookout and because we were tired, we were supposed to go left. We went right, so we backtracked, and I, after about five minutes, I mentioned to my other three colleagues I said, we've been here before, I said we're backtracking. All three of then said, how can you tell, I said, I remember these particular trees. I said I noticed them all, and they "There are thousands of trees here. You must be mistaken. I said well I'm sure. So they say "No, no. no. It can't be. We're going in the right direction and so we back tracked, and by this time we never got to our camp ground and so we had to stop and we had no water. We hadn't had any water for about two hours, three hours, and so they were kinda, didn't know what to do, but I saw that there was a swamp at the bottom, and I said, "there's water!" Well!, so two of our colleagues stayed up with the tents and I went went down with a friend of mine and it took up an hour just to go down to the swamp, because it was not a path, just there we boulders and big rocks, and we had to go around many obstacles, and then by the time we got to the swamp, it was really dark, so I tied the bottle to a rope and I just threw it in the middle of the swamp to try and get as least dirt as possible and then use my shirt to filter it into a pot. We had brought with us, to the swamp a pot and a heater, so that we could boil the water. we would, we were very dehydrated, if we hadn't drank at that time, we wouldn't have been able to go back up, so I said we need to replenish our bodies with water, then we'll come back up. So by this time is was pitch dark and my friend had this little hand flashlight that is, didn't last 45 minutes, but luckily I had my headlamp and I had just replaced my batteries and that can work 24 hours non stop so we used my single head lamp to go back up but it took up two hours to get back up so we had gone down about 8:30. We left the camp and it was close to midnight by the time we got up. Yeah, total darkness, and because we were on, just on, we could set up tent was a rock, that was like a round, rounded rock, and they set up their big tent, but I couldn't sleep in the tent, because it was just no room, so I just put my sleeping bag on the rock and just slept the whole evening. Luckily for me it didn't rain and and I managed to spend, had a fairly good night sleep.
诺姆:对,没错,那是在我们远足行程的第一天,那次远足为期六天,是在加拿大魁北克省的一个国家公园进行的,我没有做行程规划,不过我朋友大概算出我们第一天能在荒野中走19.5公里 。我说,我走了10公里以后在第一个营地休息一下,不过我没有意识到我朋友比我还要乐观,于是我们继续第一天的行程,我们的背后非常沉,大约24公斤,那天非常热,大约30度,或者32度,非常闷热,第一天的行程就一直在上山下山,上山下山,所以那天结束时,我们犯下了第一个错误,就是我们路过了一条小河,但是我们没有把水杯装满,因为我们想我们马上就要到达目的地了,就是那个湖,可是那个湖比我们认为的要远得多,所以我们的水喝完了,而且天也黑了,我们站在一块巨大的岩石上,四处张望,因为我们太累了,我们应该往左走 。可是我们却向右走了,我们走了回头路,大约五分钟以后,我对其他三个朋友说,我们来过这里,我说我们在走回头路 。他们三个说,你怎么知道的,我说,我记得这些特别的树木 。我说我注意到了它们,可他们说,这里有数千棵树 。你肯定是搞错了 。我说我很确定 。他们却说,不是,不是,不可能的 。我们继续向右方走,我们一直在往回走,这时我们已经走不到露营地了,于是我们只能停下了,而且我们还有水 。我们两个小时都没有喝水,也许是三个小时,他们有点儿不知道该怎么办了,这时我看到下面有个沼泽,我说:“那儿有水!”有两个朋友待在帐篷那里,我和一个朋友下去弄水,我们花了一个小时的时间才到达那个沼泽,因为那里没有路,全是石块和岩石,我们不得不绕过许多障碍,我们到达沼泽的时候,天已经完全黑了,我把瓶子绑在绳子上,扔到沼泽中间,试图弄得越脏越好,之后他们用我的衬衫在壶里进行过滤 。我们带了一个壶还有一个加热器去沼泽那里,这样我们就能煮水了 。我们已经脱水了,如果那时我们没有喝水的话,我们可能就回不去了,所以我说我们需要给身体补充水分,之后我们就回去了 。这时已经是一片漆黑,我朋友带的手电筒坚持不了45分钟,不过幸运的是我有前照灯,而且我刚换了电池,它可以连续工作24个小时,所以我们用我的前照灯返回了帐篷那里,不过我们用了两个小时的时间才回去,我们下去的时间是8点半 。而我们回来时已经接近午夜了 。对,完全一片漆黑,因为我们一直在走,我们可以把帐篷搭在岩石上,一块圆的岩石,所以他们支起了他们的大帐篷,不过我不能睡在帐篷里,因为那里没有多余的空间了,于是我就把睡袋放在岩石上了,就这样睡了一整个晚上 。幸运地是,那晚并没有下雨,而且我设法睡了一个好觉 。
Todd: So then the next day you just hiked back to your home?
托德:那第二天你们就回家了吗?
Norm: No the next day we had, I had brought some re-hydrating salts and that night when we came back with all the water I told everyone that we should put this in the water and then the next morning we felt much better, but then, this time we had light, proper light, sunlight and we looked at the topological map and then we figured out that where we had gone wrong. We were just barely forty minutes away from where we should have been before we made the wrong turn. We were actually very close, but when we backtracked that was our mistake, so 45 minutes later we were at the next lake where there were facilities for setting up our tents, and we were so exhausted that we spent the whole day sleeping before continuing on our trip.
诺姆:没有,第二天我们拿了一些水合盐,那天晚上我们把水取回来时,我跟所有人说我们应该把这个放进水里,之后第二天早上我们都感觉好多了,之后我们有了光亮,很合适的光亮,就是太阳光,我们查看了拓扑地图,发现我们走错路了 。我们离我们应该到达的地点只有40分钟的路程,可是我们转错了方向 。实际上我们已经离那里很近了,不过我们又往回走了,那就是我们的错误,所以45分钟以后我们到达了那个湖,那里有搭帐篷的所有的设施,我们都累坏了,所以我们那一整天就在睡觉中度过了,之后我们又继续我们的行程了 。
重点讲解
重点讲解:
1. run out of
用完;耗尽;
eg. They have run out of ideas.
他们已经想不出任何办法了 。
eg. We're running out of time.
我们快没有时间了 。
eg. By now the plane was running out of fuel.
现在,这架飞机的燃料快用完了 。
2. set upon
突然攻击;袭击;
eg. We were set upon by about twelve youths and I was kicked unconscious.
我们遭到了大约 12 名青年的袭击,我被踢晕过去了 。
eg. Life is becoming a greater adventure and the only limits are those that you set upon yourselves.
生活正在变得更具有冒险意义,而仅有的限制是那些你自己强加于自己的 。
3. be supposed to do
(按计划或期望)应当,应该做某事;本应该做某事;
eg. He produced a handwritten list of nine men he was supposed to kill.
他拿出了一份手写的名单,上面列有9个他应该要杀死的人 。
eg. The first debate was supposed to have been held on Tuesday.
第一场辩论本该在星期二就举行了 。
4. How can you tell
你怎么知道?
eg. These kittens look exactly alike how can you tell which is which?
这些小猫看上去一模一样--你怎么能分出哪个是哪个?
eg. How can you tell which button to press?
你怎么能判断出该按哪一个按钮?
5. pitch dark
漆黑的;乌黑的;
eg. It was pitch-dark in the room and I couldn't see a thing.
房间里一片漆黑,我什么也看不见 。
eg. It was pitch dark in the corridor and I had to feel my way along.
走廊里漆黑一团,我只得摸索着走过去 。