(单词翻译:单击)
情景对话
Todd: Jessica, I see you're wearing a cute outfit!
托德:杰西卡,你的衣服真可爱!
Jessica: Thanks Todd.
杰西卡:托德,谢谢你 。
Todd: OK, so where did you get your clothes?
托德:嗯,你都在哪儿买衣服?
Jessica: Well, I got these in the states actually, and if you ever want to borrow them you can?
杰西卡:嗯,实际上我是在美国买的这些衣服,如果你想借穿的话没问题 。
Todd: Thanks, thanks. I think we're maybe not the same size.
托德:谢谢,谢谢 。我想我们衣服的尺寸不一样 。
Jessica: Right, right, a little different. Yeah, the slippers are kind of a nice touch to it. We have to wear slippers where we work, so even though we work inside a university building, and we go outside actually, everything's in slippers.
杰西卡:没错,对,有些不同 。嗯,拖鞋像是一种配饰 。我们工作的时候必须要穿拖鞋,所以即使我们在大学教学楼里工作,我们也要外出的,所以拖鞋很重要 。
Todd: OK, so you got the slippers in the states?
托德:对,那你也是在美国买的这些拖鞋?
Jessica: Yeah, I got the slippers in, because my feet are so humongous that I would not be able to get.
杰西卡:对,我在美国买的,因为我的脚太大了,所以不好买 。
Todd: They're not that big!
托德:你的脚并不是很大!
Jessica: There size ten.
杰西卡:我穿十号鞋 。
Todd: Ooh, that's...
托德:哦,那是……
Jessica: That's pretty big.
杰西卡:是真的很大 。
Todd: Yeah, Yeah OK. Well, they look comfortable.
托德:嗯,对,没错 。嗯,鞋看上去很舒服 。
Jessica: They are. They are. They're like clogs.
杰西卡:没错,是很舒服 。就像厚底鞋 。
Todd: OK, and where, the pants?
托德:对,那裤子呢?
Jessica: Express.
杰西卡:在Express买的 。
Todd: Express is a store?
托德:Express是家店吗?
Jessica: Is a store, in America, yeah. Just a, kind of, they're business, business casual.
杰西卡:对,是美国的店 。类似商务休闲装的一个牌子 。
Todd: How much did you pay?
托德:多少呢?
Jessica: Ooh, too much I think! About 50 dollars U.S.
杰西卡:哦,我想很贵!大概50美元 。
Todd: for pants?
托德:裤子吗?
Jessica: For pants, but they're...
杰西卡:对,裤子,不过……
Todd: I've never paid 50 dollars for pants in my entire life.
托德:我一生中都没有花50美元买过裤子 。
Jessica: No! Really!
杰西卡:不是吧,真的吗!
Todd: Well it shows, my fashion sense. And your shirt, your blouse?
托德:嗯,不过能看出我的时尚品味 。那你的衬衫呢?
Jessica: I got it from, from, Learners, which is also another store in the states, and this was like actually 35 dollars.
杰西卡:我从Learners买的,是另一个美国的牌子,这件衣服要35美元 。
Todd: 35 dollars! You spend a lot of money on clothes.
托德:35美元!你在衣服上花了很多钱啊 。
Jessica: No, I don't though. I just, for business clothes. You have to have professional looking clothes so..
杰西卡:不,其实不是 。我只是在职业装上花费的多 。你必须要有一些职业装,所以……
重点讲解
重点讲解:
1. kind of
稍微;有几分;有点儿;
eg. It was kind of sad, really.
有点儿让人难过,真的 。
eg. She wasn't beautiful. But she was kind of cute.
她不漂亮 。但她有几分可爱 。
eg. It kind of gives us an idea of what's happening.
这让我们大概了解了正在发生的事情 。
2. touch
这里表示:润色;装点;修饰;
eg. They called the event 'a tribute to heroes', which was a nice touch.
他们把这一活动称为“向英雄致敬”,这可是加分之举 。
eg. Small touches to a room such as flowers can be what gives a house its vitality.
房间里放些诸如鲜花之类的小点缀可以给家里带来生气 。
3. be able to do sth.
(因具有品质或技能)能做到…的;(因有足够的自由、权力、时间、财力等而)可以…的,能够…的;
eg. The company say they're able to keep pricing competitive...
该公司说他们能够使定价保持竞争力 。
eg. You'll be able to read in peace.
你就能安心地读书了 。
eg. It would be nice to be able to afford to retire earlier.
无后顾之忧而能提早退休当是件幸事 。