(单词翻译:单击)
情景对话
Adrienne: So, Trina, Monday is Valentine's day. Are you excited?
埃德里安娜:特瑞娜,周一是情人节,你兴奋吗?
Trina: No!
特纳娜:不兴奋!
Adrienne: That was a pretty direct answer. Why are you not excited? It's a holiday.
埃德里安娜:这还真是个直接的回答 。你为什么不兴奋呢?这是节日啊 。
Trina: It's a holiday for people that have other people.
特纳娜:这是有他人陪伴的人们的节日 。
Adrienne: So, you're not happy because you don't have other people?
埃德里安娜:那你不开心的原因是你没有人陪伴?
Trina: I have other people. I have my sister and my mom and my dad and my friends, but Valentine's day is more of a holiday for people that have a boyfriend or a girlfriend, or a wife, or a husband, or children as opposed to being a single person with nobody to share it with.
特纳娜:我有人陪伴 。我有妹妹、妈妈、爸爸,还有朋友们,但是情人节是那些有男朋友、女朋友或是有妻子、丈夫、孩子的人过的节日,而不是单身一人,没有人共度时光的人们过的节日 。
Adrienne: But could you share it with your sister, or your mother, or your father?
埃德里安娜:但是你不能和你妹妹、妈妈或是爸爸一起过吗?
Trina: I could. I could, and we do. We send each other gifts. We, well this year, I won't be with anybody, but I get to celebrate it with my sister this weekend.
特纳娜:我可以,可以,我们就是这么做的 。我们会互相送礼物 。但是今年,没有人和我一起过,不过这周末我会和我妹妹一起庆祝一下 。
Adrienne: Well, that sounds fun.
埃德里安娜:嗯,听起来很有趣 。
Trina: It is.
特纳娜:的确是 。
Adrienne: So what kinds of things have you done on Valentines day in the past?
埃德里安娜:那过去你在情人节都做什么呢?
Trina: Ah, gone out to dinner, gone to a movie, had dinner at my parents house, had dinner at my grandparent's house.
特纳娜:出去吃晚饭,看电影,在父母家吃晚饭,或是在祖父母家吃晚饭 。
Adrienne: That's interesting. Why your grandparent's house?
埃德里安娜:那真有意思 。为什么在祖父母家吃晚饭?
Trina: It was their wedding anniversary.
特纳娜:因为那天是他们的结婚纪念日 。
Adrienne: Wow! That's a great day to have a wedding anniversary.
埃德里安娜:哇!结婚纪念日在情人节真是太棒了 。
Trina: It is and it was a lot of fun. I got to spend some of their last few years together having dinner with them.
特纳娜:没错,有很多乐趣 。这几年我们都是和他们一起吃的晚餐 。
Adrienne: That sounds lovely. So are you looking forward to maybe having a Valentine next year?
埃德里安娜:听起来真不错 。那你期待明年过情人节吗?
Trina: Maybe! We'll, see.
特纳娜:也许吧 。到时候看看吧 。
重点讲解
重点讲解:
1. as opposed to
而不是;
eg. We ate in the restaurant, as opposed to the bistro.
我们是在餐厅吃的饭,而不是在小饭馆 。
eg. I am here on business as opposed to a holiday.
我在这里是办公事而不是度假 。
2. in the past
过去;以往;
eg. I've been there many times in the past.
我从前去过那儿很多次 。
eg. In the past this district was very hard to get to.
以前这一带交通闭塞 。
3. look forward to sth./doing sth.
期待;盼望;
eg. After a day of hard work, we look forward to good relaxation.
辛辛苦苦工作一天之后,大家都想好好放松一下 。
eg. We look forward to reactivating our business relationshellop.
我们盼愿我们的业务关系能够重新活跃起来 。