(单词翻译:单击)
情景对话
Todd: So, Eli, can you talk a little about England and maybe about it's climate and it's weather, it's leaders, what people eat?
托德:艾丽,你能谈谈英国吗,有关气候,天气,领导人,还有食物之类的?
Eli: Well, I'm not going to talk about leaders right now because that's a bit of a sore point but England weather, hmm, that is a bit of a sore point too. It's not the greatest weather in the world, especially compared to Japan where I am now, which the weather I just love. England is always cold, almost always cold even through the summer it's quite cold I hear. This summer it's been sort of jacket weather all summer with only a few days of sunshine and it rains a lot, so it's pretty miserable as far as weather's concerned.
艾丽:嗯,目前我并不想谈领导人,因为那算是伤心事,不过英国的天气,嗯,也算是痛处 。那并不是世界上最好的天气,尤其是和日本比的话,我现在在日本生活,我很喜欢这里的天气 。英国总是很冷,即使在夏天也很冷,我听说非常冷 。今年整个夏天几乎都要穿夹克,只有几天有阳光,下了很多雨,所以就天气来说非常糟糕 。
Todd: Now, you're from Bristol right. What's your hometown like?
托德:你来自布里斯托尔,对吧?你的家乡怎么样?
Eli: Bristol's a great town. I used to live in London which is the capital of England and it's very gray and big and unfriendly but when I moved to Bristol it was just great. It is a city but it's a very small city so you can always bump into your friends, um, always meet people. It's got big green areas. It's got a place called the downs which is a big park, and it's the architecture of the city is very old. It's very near Bath, which is a very famous old Roman town, where the Roman baths were, so all the sort of architecture of the city, the houses, all of it's very pretty.
艾丽:布里斯托尔是一个非常棒的城镇 。我以前生活在伦敦,那是英国的首都,那儿的天空是灰色的,城市很大,而且并不友好,我搬到布里斯托尔以后非常棒 。那是个城市,但是算是小城市,所以你经常能遇到朋友,嗯,经常能遇到熟人 。而且那里有大面积的绿地 。那里有个地方名为Downs,那是个大公园,城市的建筑很古老,就在巴斯附近,巴斯是一个非常著名的罗马风格城镇,就是巴斯罗马浴场的所在地,所以那个城市的所有建筑、所有房屋都非常漂亮 。
Todd: OK. What are the Downs like? You said the downs. Is that a park?
托德:好 。Downs什么样?你说过Downs,那是个公园吗?
Eli: The downs. It's, it's a big area of green basically. It's not a park as in lots of trees and trees and sort of shrubbery and stuff. It's just a big wide spread of greenery where you can play football. I mean there's football matches sort of every week. You can go fly your kites. You can take your kids there. And that joins on to the Avon-gorge, which is where the Bristol suspension bridge is, which is very famous as being I think the first ever suspension bridge built, and from standing on the bridge and looking out into the gorge, I mean you'd think you're in the middle of the mountains, not in the middle of the city. It's a really pretty area.
艾丽:The Downs,对,是公园,是一片大面积的绿地 。其实不算公园,因为那里有许多树木,还有灌木之类的东西 。那只是一片大面积的绿地,你可以在那里踢足球 。我的意思是那里几乎每周都有足球比赛 。你可以在那里放风筝 。你可以带你的孩子去那儿玩 。那里与埃文峡谷相连,峡谷里有布里斯托尔吊桥,这非常有名,我想可能是历史上建造的第一座吊桥,站在吊桥上眺望峡谷,你会以为你身处山区,而不是在城市里 。那真是个非常漂亮的地方 。
Todd: Sounds like a nice place.
托德:听起来是个不错的地方 。
重点讲解
重点讲解:
1. sore point
痛点;痛处;
eg. Don't mention baldness to Eddie. It's a sore point with him.
别对伊迪提起秃头之类的事,他对这事很敏感 。
eg. This just becomes these achieving to drop the biggest sore point of copartner.
这恰恰成为这些创投合伙人的最大心病 。
2. compared to
相对…而言;对照;
eg. The writer was compared to Shakespeare.
把这个作家与莎士比亚进行了比较 。
eg. That had been a placid pastime compared to his condition now.
与他目前的情况相比,那简直算是安静的消遣了 。
3. as far as sth. is concerned
就…而言,说到(用于表明所谈论的话题) ;
eg. As far as starting a family is concerned, the trend is for women having their children later in life.
在要孩子方面,目前的趋势是女性要孩子要得比较晚 。
eg. As far as oil energy is concerned, we cannot be too frugal.
就石油能源而言,我们愈节省愈好 。
4. bump into
偶然遇见;意外碰到;
eg. I happened to bump into Mervyn Johns in the hallway.
我在走廊里意外碰见了默文·约翰斯 。
eg. How nice to bump into you!
碰到你真高兴!
5. in the middle of
在…的中间;
eg. I was in the middle of the back row.
我在后排的中间 。
eg. Two actors carried on a dialogue in the middle of the stage.
两个演员在舞台中央进行对白 。