(单词翻译:单击)
情景对话
Jessica: Ashley have you ever been horsebackriding?
杰西卡:阿什莉,你骑过马吗?
Ashley: Yes, I've actually been horseback riding a numbr of times. My grandparents have horses and my uncle. Actually, there was this one time where I was in Idaho visiting for the summer and my uncle, my grandpa took me on a horseback ride, a whole day trip kind of thing, and you know I'm not so great at the horsebackriding thing, you know, I get a little scared. Horses are pretty big animals, and um, so we were, it was beautiful. We were in the mountains, and we were going up this hill, this trail and we got to the top. You know the weather was beautiful when we started out, of course, it always is. We get to the top of the mountain and it starts to rain. Well not only does it start to rain, it starts to pour, and we hear the Thunder in the distance, and the horses get a little scared and the one I was on got really scared, and I look around and my uncle is taking shelter under a tree, and I'm looking around and we're on the very, very top of this ridge of mountains, the top, like, the highest point, you know, and the lightning is coming and I see the only tree that hasn't been struck by lighting is the one that my uncle is under with his horse and I'm scared and the horse is going crazy and I'm holding on and I'm thinking, "Oh, my God! I'm going to die!" But we got under the tree and we got down to a lower ridge and we made it, but it was scary.
阿什莉:骑过,其实我骑过很多次马 。我祖父母和我叔叔都有马 。实际上,有一次夏天我在爱达荷州游览,我叔叔和我爷爷带我去骑马了,我们大概用了一天的时间,你知道,我不是很擅长骑马,所以有些害怕 。马真是很大的动物,嗯,不过很漂亮 。我们是在山区,所以我们骑着马上山,并抵达山顶 。你知道我们出发的时候天气非常好,当然,一直是这样 。我们到山顶以后便开始下雨了 。其实不是开始下雨,而是下起了瓢泼大雨,我们听见了远处的雷声,马有点儿受惊了,我骑的那匹马非常害怕,我四处张望,看见我叔叔在一棵树下避雨,我四处看了看,发现我们在非常高的山顶处,就像是最高点,你知道,闪电来的时候,我只看到一棵没有被闪电击中的树,那就是我叔叔和他的马避雨的那棵树,我简直吓坏了,而我的马就要发狂了,我一直紧紧抓着马的缰绳,我当时在想:“天哪,我要死了!”不过我们最终躲进了树下,而且设法去了一个较低的山脊,不过我真的吓坏了 。
Jessica: So how apt were you to go back on that horse after that?
杰西卡:那你是怎么骑着那匹马回去的?
Ashley: Oh, well, I went, we finished the ride, and it was fine, after that you know, mountain storms, they come and go so quickly. By the time we got down the mountain we were dry and hot from the sun. But you know, got back on the horse the next day.
阿什莉:哦,我们结束了骑马,那很棒,在山区暴雨之后,这些马开始走得很快 。我们下山以后,就被太阳晒干了 。不过你知道,我第二天又骑了那匹马 。
重点讲解
重点讲解:
1. a number of
若干;许多;
eg. I seem to remember that Sam told a number of lies.
我好像记得萨姆说过不少谎话 。
eg. We encountered a number of difficulties in the first week.
我们在第一周遇到了一些困难 。
2. start out
启程,出发; 开始[着手]做;
eg. Let's start out before dawn.
让我们在天亮前起身 。
eg. Mother told her son to start out early and start back early.
母亲告诉儿子早去早回 。
3. in the distance
远处;远方;
eg. We suddenly saw her in the distance.
我们突然看见她在远处 。
eg. Mr. Dambar found himself gazing into the distance for a moment or two.
丹巴先生不知不觉朝远方凝视了片刻 。
4. look around
(四处)转转;参观;
eg. We went to look round the show homes.
我们去参观了一下样板间 。
eg. I'm going to look around and see what I can find.
我去四下里转转,看能发现些什么 。
5. take shelter
存身;避难;躲避;
eg. We must take shelter from rain.
我们必须避雨 。
eg. As the bombs came screaming down, the villagers tried to take shelter.
当炸弹呼啸着落下时,村民都设法躲避 。
6. make it
(经历艰难困苦后)成功;
eg. I believe I have the talent to make it.
我相信自己有成功的天分 。
eg. You're brave and courageous. You can make it.
你勇敢无畏,一定会获得成功 。