(单词翻译:单击)
情景对话
Todd: So, Hello!
托德:你好!
Gabrielle: Hi!
加布里埃尔:你好!
Todd: Can you say your name please?
托德:请问你叫什么名字?
Gabrielle: Gabrielle:
加布里埃尔:加布里埃尔 。
Todd: Gabrielle. Now, Gabrielle you talked to us last year.
托德:加布里埃尔,我们去年曾经谈过 。
Gabrielle:That's right!
加布里埃尔:没错!
Todd: And you said that you're from Christchurch?
托德:你说你来自克赖斯特彻奇?
Gabrielle: Uh-huh, from Christchurch in New Zealand.
加布里埃尔:嗯,我来自新西兰的克赖斯特彻奇 。
Todd: OK, can you talk about your city?
托德:好,你能谈谈你所在的城市吗?
Gabrielle: Absolutely! Absolutely! Well, Christchurch I guess compared to Japan is pretty small, but for New Zealand it's quite a big city. I think it's a great place. Yeah, we've got the beach, the mountains, yeah so city center and nature, really close.
加布里埃尔:当然可以!当然!嗯,和日本比的话,克赖斯特彻奇非常小,但是克赖斯特彻奇在新西兰是个大城市 。我认为那是个很棒的地方 。我们那里有海滩,有高山,市中心和大自然非常近 。
Todd: Sounds nice! How many people live in Christchurch?
托德:听起来不错!克赖斯特彻奇有多少人口?
Gabrielle: Oh, that's a good question. Gosh! We're certainly not up to a million! I guess about 600,000 people.
加布里埃尔:哦,这是个好问题 。天哪!不到1百万人!我猜大概60万人吧 。
Todd: Wow, that's it! Just 6!
托德:哇!就只有60万!
Gabrielle: That's it. Big city in New Zealand!
加布里埃尔:对 。那是新西兰的大城市!
Todd: Wow! So there's three big cities in New Zealand!
托德:哇!新西兰有三个大城市!
Gabrielle: That's right! That's right! We're probably the second or third biggest city.
加布里埃尔:没错!对!克赖斯特彻奇可能是第二大或者是第三大城市 。
Todd: Uh, what's the transportation like?
托德:哦,那里的交通怎么样?
Gabrielle: Well, I use my bike usually or a car. We certainly don't have the trains like Tokyo, but there's a bus system. It's not too bad, but most Kiwis have cars. Yeah, more convenient.
加布里埃尔:嗯,我通常是骑自行车或是开车出行 。我们没有东京这样的火车系统,但是有公交车系统 。还不算太坏,但是大部分新西兰人都有车 。这样更方便 。
Todd: OK, now can I ask you about costs?
托德:好,我能问问你那里的开销吗?
Gabrielle: Sure! Sure!
加布里埃尔:当然!当然!
Todd: OK, and you can say Japanese yen prices.
托德:好,你可以用日元来表示 。
Gabrielle: Yeah! Yeah!
加布里埃尔:好的!好!
Todd: How much is an apartment? A one bedroom apartment, downtown?
托德:一间公寓要多少钱?市中心一间卧室公寓的价钱?
Gabrielle: Well, to be honest we don't have that style. We've got plenty of space so we usually rent a house which has three bedrooms and a garden, for example, and much cheaper, much, much cheaper. I'm just trying to convert.
加布里埃尔:嗯,说实话,我们那里没有这种类型的公寓 。那里有很多空间,所以通常我们会租有三间卧室和花园的房子,而且比日本便宜很多,非常便宜 。我正在努力换算 。
Todd: Three bedrooms and a garden!
托德:三间卧室和一个花园!
Gabrielle: Yeah! And often we go "flatting" which means we share the house with maybe a couple of friends, probably pay about, I was paying $80 a week for my room so, oh, sorry my conversion rate is not working too quickly at the moment.
加布里埃尔:对!而且一般我们会合租公寓,就是和几个朋友一起租公寓,我租的房间一周大概要付80美元,抱歉,目前我汇率的换算不是很熟练 。
Todd: That's really cheap though!
托德:那真是很便宜!
Gabrielle: It's incredibly cheap. Yeah, much, much cheaper! Much bigger!
加布里埃尔:便宜得令人难以置信 。对,比这里便宜很多,便宜非常多!
Todd: Wow! sounds like a nice place! OK, how much is, New Zealand prices OK, how much is a loaf of bread?
托德:哇!听起来是个很棒的地方!好,新西兰面包卖多少钱?
Gabrielle: A loaf of bread! To get the good bread, probably about $2.50 a loaf, yeah, so, maybe about, oh sorry, my conversion's not working, I've been in Tokyo for too long!
加布里埃尔:一块面包!要买好面包,大概要2.5美元,抱歉,我现在没有换算出来 。我来日本的时间太长了!
Todd: How about a movie ticket?
托德:电影票的价格呢?
Gabrielle: A movie ticket would be about $13, so it's much cheaper than here. Yeah, definitely!
加布里埃尔:一张电影票大概要13美元,比这里便宜很多 。对,绝对是!
Todd: And bus fare!
托德:公交车费呢?
Gabrielle: Bus fare, a dollar fifty, two dollars for one way.
加布里埃尔:公交车单程费用大概1.5美元或2美元 。
Todd: How about if you're going to buy your friend a sweater, a nice sweater, how much would that cost?
托德:那如果你要是给朋友买毛衣,一件不错的毛衣要多少钱?
Gabrielle: Well, I like the good outdoor brand sweaters so I would probably say about $50 but an everyday sweater you could get about $15 New Zealand. Yeah.
加布里埃尔:嗯,我喜欢户外毛衣品牌,那大概要50美元,不过在新西兰普通的毛衣大概是15美元 。对 。
Todd: OK, Wow! Sounds like a great place. Oh, and last one, the weather, when is the best time of year to visit?
托德:哇!听起来真是个好地方 。最后一个问题,天气,一年中什么时候是去新西兰旅游的最佳时节?
Gabrielle: Oh, summer, definitely.
加布里埃尔:绝对是夏季 。
Todd: So that's December?
托德:那就是12月吗?
Gabrielle: Yeah, so we're going into summer now so December to February, but we have four seasons in one day, so you can count on all weather even within summer. Yeah! Yeah!
加布里埃尔:对,现在是我们国家的夏季,12月至2月是夏季,不过我们那里可以在一天内体验到四种季节,所以即使在夏天你也可以体验到所有天气 。没错!
Todd: Do you have a really bad month to go, where the weather is not nice?
托德:那有没有最不适宜旅行的月份呢?什么时候天气不好?
Gabrielle: Yeah, usually June, July, it probably rains the most, but we still get gorgeous sunny days in the winter so, yeah there's not really any bad time.
加布里埃尔:有,通常一月和七月是雨水最多的月份,但是在冬季也会有阳光灿烂的天气,所以,实际上并不算不适宜的时间 。
Todd: Oh, sounds nice! Thanks Gabrielle!
托德:哦,听起来真好!谢谢你,加布里埃尔!
Gabrielle: No problem!
加布里埃尔:不客气 。
重点讲解
重点讲解:
1. compared to
与…相比;和…比起来;
eg. My handwriting is good, but it is poor as compared to my father's.
我的书法很好,但与我父亲的相比,我的就很差了 。
eg. Compared to his early work, this is a rather slight novel, ie not a major one.
这部小说与他早期作品相比,不甚重要 。
2. at the moment
此刻;目前;眼下;
eg. There seems to be a dearth of good young players at the moment.
目前似乎好的年轻选手太少了 。
eg. Everything's topsy-turvy in my life at the moment.
现在我的生活全都被打乱了 。
3. a couple of
两个;几个;
eg. I have a couple of things to do.
我有几件事要做 。
eg. If you don't like this job, I know a couple of hungry guys that want to do.
要是你不喜欢这工作,我知道几个跃跃欲试的小伙子正想要做呢 。
4. a loaf of
一条(面包);
eg. I need a loaf of bread.
我需要一条面包 。
eg. I went to the baker's to buy a loaf of fresh bread.
我到面包铺去买了一个新鲜的面包 。
5. count on
期望;预计;
eg. Don't count on much, Billy.
不要抱太大的希望,贝利 。
eg. He is counting on winning seats and perhaps a share in the new government.
他期望能获得一些席位,或许还能参与新政府的执政 。