(单词翻译:单击)
情景对话
Todd: OK, Steve you were saying that you're a big hockey fan.
托德:史蒂夫,你说你是冰球的忠实球迷 。
Steve: That's right. I love hockey.
史蒂夫:没错 。我很爱冰球 。
Todd: OK. Why? What is it about hockey?
托德:嗯 。为什么呢?冰球的魅力在哪儿?
Steve: Well, hockey is a really exciting sport. It's played on the ice. It's really fast. It's aggressive. Also, it requires a lot of skill. It's a really good sport for spectators to watch because there's lots of action. You can watch it at home with friends. Drink beer, eat pizza, and have a really good time. I also like it because I'm Canadian and it's Canada's national sport, and Canada is the best hockey team in the world right now.
史蒂夫:嗯,冰球是一项非常刺激的运动 。这是一项在冰上进行的运动 。它很有进攻性 。当然,这项运动要求许多技艺 。是一项很适合观众观看的运动,因为有许多动作 。你可以在家里和朋友一起看比赛 。你们在比赛时可以喝着啤酒,吃着批萨,然后享受快乐时光 。我喜欢这项运动因为我是加拿大人,这是加拿大的国球,加拿大的冰球是目前世界最强的 。
Todd: Now Canada has the best hockey team.
托德:加拿大有目前最强的冰球队 。
Steve: That's right. We won the gold medal. We won the world championship. Both the men's and the women's teams.
史蒂夫:没错 。我们获得了金牌 。我们赢得了世界杯 。男子和女子都是冠军 。
Todd: Wow, that's pretty cool. In hockey, how long is the game?
托德:哇,那真棒!冰球比赛一般要用多长时间?
Steve: The game is three twenty minute periods, but because of stoppages in play , it usually takes about two and a half hours for a whole game.
史蒂夫:比赛分为三局,每局20分钟,但是因为比赛经常中断,所以通常完成整场比赛要用两个半小时 。
Todd: Oh, OK, and did you play in high school when you were younger?
托德:哦,好的,你以前在高中时打过冰球吗?
Steve: Ah, no, I'm not that good a skater. You have to be a really good skater, but I played street hockey and floor hockey.
史蒂夫:没有,我滑冰不是很好 。你必须要滑冰滑得很好才能打冰球,不过我打过街头曲棍球和室内曲棍球 。
Todd: OK, what's the difference between street hockey and ice hockey?
托德:嗯,街头曲棍球和冰球之间有什么区别?
Steve: Well, it's pretty much the same thing. Street hockey you play on the road or on a tennis court and instead of using a puck you use a hockey ball or a tennis ball.
史蒂夫:其实差不多一样 。街头曲棍球是在道路上或是网球场上进行的,比赛中不会用冰球,而是用曲棍球或是网球 。
Todd: OK, and do you run or?
托德:好的,那比赛中会奔跑吗?
Steve: Yeah, you run.
史蒂夫:对,会跑的 。
Todd: Oh, you run!
托德:哦,会奔跑!
Steve: Yeah. It's pretty well the same game.
史蒂夫:对 。其实差不多是一样的 。
Todd: OK, alright, thanks Steve.
托德:好的,谢谢你,史蒂夫 。
重点讲解
重点讲解:
1. pretty much/pretty well
几乎;近乎;差不多;
eg. The result of the ballot is pretty much what we expected.
投票的结果和我们预料的差不多 。
eg. I travel pretty well every week.
我几乎每周都出去旅行 。
eg. The two are pretty much the same.
这两个简直一模一样 。
2. instead of
代替…;而不是…;
eg. She had to spend nearly four months away from him that summer, instead of the usual two.
那个夏天她被迫离开他将近四个月而不是通常的两个月 。
eg. Check-out workers in London will receive £7.17 an hour instead of £6.54.
伦敦的收银员每小时工资将从原先的 6 。54 英镑涨为 7 。17 英镑 。
eg. They raised prices and cut production, instead of cutting costs.
他们没有降低成本,而是抬高价格、削减产量 。