(单词翻译:单击)
情景对话
Todd: So, Ruthie, what did you do today?
托德:鲁斯,你今天做什么了?
Ruth: Well, I got up quite early this morning, actually, to go shopping.
鲁斯:我今天早上起得很早,然后去购物了 。
Todd: Oh, yeah! (Yeah) Ooh, shopping.
托德:哦,是吗?(是啊)哦,购物!
Ruth: I really like shopping.
鲁斯:我特别喜欢购物 。
Todd: That's true but you're on a budget. You're trying to save money.
托德:这是没错,可是你不是在节省开支嘛 。你在存钱啊 。
Ruth: I know, but is was my brother's birthday. Well, it is my brother's birthday in a week so.
鲁斯:我知道,可是我哥哥的生日快到了 。我哥哥一周后过生日 。
Todd: Oh, no kidding.
托德:哦,不是开玩笑吧 。
Ruth: Yeah.
鲁斯:没有 。
Todd: So, what did you get your brother for his birthday?
托德:那你为你哥哥买什么生日礼物了?
Ruth: Well, it was quite difficult to find something that I thought he would like, but I got him some cakes in the end, some Japanese cakes.
鲁斯:我认为很难找到他会喜欢的礼物,不过我最后给他买了蛋糕,一些日式蛋糕 。
Todd: Japanese cakes?
托德:日式蛋糕?
Ruth: Yeah, they're in like a special presentation box.
鲁斯:对,蛋糕装在特别的包装盒里 。
Todd: So, how are you going to get the cakes to your brother? Just through the post office?
托德:那你怎么把蛋糕给你哥哥呢?去邮局寄给他吗?
Ruth: Yes, I sent them in the post this morning.
鲁斯:对啊,我今天早上寄给他了 。
Todd: Oh, did you send them express or just regular mail?
托德:哦,你寄的是快递还是平邮?
Ruth: No, regular mail because it was cheaper.
鲁斯:平邮,因为便宜 。
Todd: But, don't you want it to hurry and get there for his birthday?
托德:可是你不想缩短时间,赶在他生日的时候寄到吗?
Ruth: I've got one week. I think it will get there in time.
鲁斯:我有一周的时间 。我想蛋糕会及时寄到的 。
Todd: So, what do you think your brother will think of the cakes?
托德:那你觉得你哥哥会怎么看那些蛋糕?
Ruth: I don't think he'll like them actually.
鲁斯:我想他不喜欢 。
Todd: No?
托德:为什么?
Ruth: Well, he likes chocolate cake, and they look like they've got kind of chocolate inside but it's bean paste. I think he'll be disappointed.
鲁斯:因为他喜欢巧克力蛋糕,那些蛋糕看上去好像里面有巧克力,可是实际上那是豆沙 。我想他会失望的 。
Todd: So what did your brother get you for your last birthday?
托德:那之前你过生日的时候你哥哥送你什么了?
Ruth: That's a good question. He always gives me money, and he often gives me chocolate as well. He's very generous.
鲁斯:这是个好问题 。他一般都给我钱,还有巧克力 。他非常大方 。
Todd: Actually, I'm the same way. Guys like to give money. Money is so easy. No shopping involved.
托德:实际上我也是这样的 。男生都喜欢送钱当礼物 。给钱很简单嘛,也不用去购物 。
Ruth: It's practical, though, it's good.
鲁斯:虽然很实际,不过挺好的 。
Todd: Now, I've been told that when you give money for a gift, it's actually very impolite.
托德:可是有人跟我说给钱当礼物其实非常不礼貌 。
Ruth: Really?
鲁斯:真的吗?
Todd: Is that true? Yeah!
托德:真的吗?是啊!
Ruth: Why is that?
鲁斯:为什么呢?
Todd: I don't know. Some people say it's just really impersonal. That you should take the time to get a gift.
托德:我也不知道 。有些人说那种做法很不礼貌 。你应该花时间去买个礼物 。
Ruth: Really! I really think if anybody gave me money I would be so pleased. It's a good present.
鲁斯:真的吗?可是我认为如果有人给我钱当作礼物我会很高兴的 。那是个很好的礼物 。
Todd: Exactly, that's what I think. (Pause) Hey, um, actually, when are you going to see your brother next?
托德:没错,我也是那么想的 。(停顿了一下)嘿,你下次什么时候见你哥哥?
Ruth: Probably, I will see him in August of September.
鲁斯:大概八九月的时候吧 。
Todd: Oh, that's quite a way away.
托德:哦,那还好长时间呢 。
Ruth: Yes, about four months is that.
鲁斯:是啊,大概还有四个月 。
Todd: So is this a younger brother or older brother?
托德:你说的是你弟弟还是哥哥?
Ruth: He's older. He's twenty-six.
鲁斯:是哥哥,他今年26岁了 。
Todd: Oh, he's twenty six.
托德:哦,他26岁了 。
Ruth: He's going to be twenty-six soon.
鲁斯:他马上就要26岁了 。
Todd: Ok, well, if you happen to e-mail him, tell him happy birthday.
托德:好的,如果你给他发电子邮件的话,替我跟他说一声祝他生日快乐 。
Ruth: Oh, certainly will do. Thanks.
鲁斯:哦,我当然会的 。谢谢你 。
译文属可可原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载
重点讲解
重点讲解:
1. in the end
最后;终于;
eg. As usual, the cops get the baddies in the end.
跟平常一样,警察最后把坏人都抓起来了 。
eg. Things worked out well for Jeanne in the end.
对珍妮来说事情的最终结果不错 。
2. in time
及时;
eg. Firemen reached the house on fire in time.
消防队员及时赶到那幢失火的房子 。
eg. Disregarding all the difficulties, we arrived here in time.
尽管有那么多困难,我们仍然及时地到达了这儿 。
3. quite a way
很远;很长时间;
eg. Some of them live in places quite a long way from here.
他们中有些人住的地方离这里很远 。
eg. She had pedaled quite a way ahead of me when she looked back over her shoulder.
她在我的前面骑了好大一截,还笑着回头看我 。
4. happen to do sth.
碰巧;凑巧;
eg. We happen to hold the same view.
我们两人的想法不谋而合 。
eg. And, they happen to face natural disasters this year.
同时,他们碰巧在今年遇到了自然灾害 。