(单词翻译:单击)
情景对话
Todd: OK, Mike, you are from Canada.
托德:迈克,你来自加拿大 。
Mike: That's right.
迈克:没错 。
Todd: So, actually I want to go to Canada for vacation. I've never been. What would you recommend for a Canadian vacation?
托德:实际上,我想去加拿大度假 。我从来没去过那里 。要是去加拿大度假,你有什么推荐吗?
Mike: Well, it really just depends on the kind of holiday that you want to have. If you want to have a relaxing outdoors, kind of back to nature, kind of holiday, I'd recommend Vancouver. If you wanted to do a holiday that's maybe a little more culturally oriented. If you want experience, a different type of culture, Montreal, would be a city that I'd recommend, um, and if you wanted to go to a big multi-cultural city with a lot of nightlife and things to do with respect to entertainment, or sports, then I'd recommend Toronto.
迈克:这要取决于你想度过怎样的假期 。如果你想享受放松的室外假期,想回归自然,这类假期我会推荐你去温哥华 。如果你想度过文化类假期,想体验不同类型的文化,那我会推荐你去蒙特利尔,嗯,如果你想去多元文化的大型城市,感受那里的夜生活以及与娱乐和体育相关的事情,那我会推荐你去多伦多 。
Todd: So, have you been to all three cities?
托德:那这些城市你都去过吗?
Mike: Yes. I actually have lived most of my life in Toronto and in Montreal and, but I have spent some time in Vancouver as well, so, all three are very different in attitude and lifestyle and in the way people live.
迈克:都去过 。实际上我大部分时间都生活在多伦多和蒙特利尔,不过我也在温哥华住过一段时间,这三个城市的态度和生活方式都非常不同 。
Todd: How so? How is somebody from Toronto different than somebody from Vancouver?
托德:怎么不同?来自多伦多的人和来自温哥华的人有什么不同?
Mike: Well, somebody from Toronto I think is a little bit more high paced, maybe you could almost say, they're a little bit more stresses out, just because the pace of life in Toronto is a little bit faster. It's kind of the big economic center of Canada, so it tend to have a lot more of a business culture to it, where as Vancouver, is much more, like many West Coast cities in the United States, as well, it's a lot more relaxed, a lot more easy-going, so there's a difference in culture there,and Montreal has a strong French-Canadian influence, so in fact, it's mostly French-Canadian, so that just changes the dynamic of the city.
迈克:嗯,我认为来自多伦多的人生活节奏更快,你也可以说,他们有更多压力,原因就是多伦多的生活节奏相对来说更快一些 。那里是加拿大重要的经济中心,所以那里的商业文化非常浓郁,而温哥华则和美国西海岸的大部分城市一样,那里的生活相对来说更放松,更悠闲,所以那里的文化氛围也不同,蒙特利尔则受到法裔加拿大人的严重影响,实际上,那里大部分人都是法裔加拿大人,所以这给这个城市带来了活力 。
Todd: OK, so if you were to live in any city, which one would you choose?
托德:好,那如果你要住在这些城市里,那你会选择住在哪里呢?
Mike: Of, those three? (Yeah) Personally I would think I would go for Montreal, just because I like the dynamic. The one bad point about Montreal is the weather.
迈克:这三个城市吗?(对)个人来说,我会选择蒙特利尔,因为我喜欢那种活力的感觉 。不过蒙特利尔的缺点是天气不太好 。
Todd: What? It's very cold?
托德:怎么?非常冷吗?
Mike: Yes, it gets very, very cold and it has a very long winter. In fact, the joke is that in Montreal the seasons are nine month of winter and three months of bad-skating.
迈克:对,蒙特利尔的冬天非常长,而且也非常寒冷 。实际上,有个玩笑说蒙特利尔的季节是九个月的冬季和另三个月不适合滑冰的季节 。
Todd: OK, well, thanks, Mike.
托德:好,谢谢你,迈克 。
重点讲解
重点讲解:
1. depend on
取决(于);有赖(于);
eg. Much will depend on economic indicators.
这在很大程度上将取决于经济数据 。
eg. Whether such properties are a good deal will depend on individual situations.
这样的地产是否可获得大笔收益还要视具体情形而定 。
2. with respect to
关于,至于;
eg. Parents often have little choice with respect to the way their child is medically treated.
关于孩子的治疗方法,父母通常没有什么选择的余地 。
eg. Contrary to public perception we were under no pressure with respect to it.
同大家的看法相反,我们在这方面并没有受到压力 。
3. easy-going
心平气和的;随和的;
eg. He was easy-going and good-natured.
他为人随和温厚 。
eg. Athenians have a very easy-going attitude to life.
雅典人对待生活非常怡然自得 。
4. go for
选择;挑选;
eg. People tried to persuade him to go for a more gradual reform programme.
人们试图说服他采取更为渐进的改革方案 。
eg. So for that you should go for eye shadows that are lighter in colour, or are of neutral shades.
因此,你应该选择那些颜色较淡或者中性色调的眼影 。
5. in fact
事实上,其实;
eg. Employees are in fact eager for such collaboration.
雇员们其实非常渴求这样的协作关系 。
eg. You have to admit that you are, in fact, in difficulties.
你不得不承认,你事实上是陷入了困境 。