(单词翻译:单击)
情景对话
Todd: So, Alex, you're still at university.
托德:亚历克斯,你还在上大学吧 。
Alex: Yes, sir
亚历克斯:是的,先生 。
Todd: So, what's a typical day at university like?
托德:那大学里每天基本的生活是什么样的?
Alex: A typical day at my school, let's see, well I would usually get up, well last semester, I would get up around 8 or so. My first class would be at 9:10. It'd be an hour so around 10:10 I'd get out of class, you know, have lunch, and I was actually a part of the college radio station.
亚历克斯:我在学样每天基本的生活,我想一下,像上个学期,我通常会在八点左右起床 。我第一节课是9点10分开始 。时间大概是1小时,所以在10点10分左右我就下课了,你知道,我会去吃午饭,实际上我是学校广播电台的成员 。
Todd: Oh, really.
托德:哦,真的吗 。
Alex: So yeah, I'd hang out there, play some music, you know, joke around, play some pool, go to class. It wasn't too bad.
亚历克斯:对,我会去广播电台放些音乐,你知道,开玩笑,打台球,去上课 。还不算太坏 。
Todd: Yeah, where do you play pool?
托德:嗯,你在哪儿打台球?
Alex: Oh, well, any place that I can really. There's a pool table right next to my radio station at school so I usually play a lot there - a place called Mr. Pockets, too, where I live. They're pretty inexpensive so, I play there too, but I'm not very good. Like the pool table at my college was, it was a bar pool table so you have to pay money for it, 50 cents a game, and I must have put at least a hundred dollars in there and I'm not any better than when I started out, so I don't know.
亚历克斯:哦,其实我在哪儿都可以打 。我们学校广播电台旁边就有张台球桌,所以我在那里打的次数比较多——我还会去一个叫Mr. Pockets的地方打球,我住在那里 。那里非常贵,我也会在那里打台球,不过我打得不好 。我们学校的那张台球桌,以前曾经是酒吧的台球桌,所以打球也要花钱,一局50美分,我每次都至少会花100美元,我现在的水平跟刚开始打球的时候差不多,我也不太清楚 。
Todd: That's OK you have other talents.
托德:那还好 。你有其他的天赋 。
Alex: I guess.
亚历克斯:我想也是 。
Todd: What's the allure of pool? Why do college kids like to play pool?
托德:台球的魅力是什么?为什么大学生都喜欢打台球?
Alex: Oh, I have, it's really a mystery, it's very ambiguous. I don't know. It's just the pool tables there and something with hitting balls with a stick into little holes, maybe, but it's a lot of fun. I don't know why I like it as much as I do but even though I'm not so good I like to play some pool.
亚历克斯:哦,我想台球非常神秘,让人捉摸不透 。我也不知道 。其实就是一张台球桌,用一根球杆将球打进洞里而已,不过那真的很有趣 。我也不知道我为什么那么喜欢台球,即使我打得不怎么好,可是我还是喜欢打台球 。
重点讲解
重点讲解:
1. hang out
闲逛,逗留;
eg. I often used to hang out in supermarkets.
我过去经常在超市里逛个没完 。
We can just hang out and have a good time.
我们可以只是闲逛一下,开开心 。
2. joke around
开玩笑;闹着玩;
eg. John wanted to talk turkey, but Jane just wanted to joke around.
约翰想谈正派事,可是简只想闹着玩 。
eg. If one of us can laugh and joke around, the angry mood lifts instantly.
如果有一个人能发出笑声,开一开玩笑,愤怒的情绪便会立刻消散 。
3. play pool
打台球;打桌球;
eg. Jay likes to play pool at the bar.
杰伊喜欢在那家酒吧打美式台球 。
eg. Whether you can play pool well depends on your mentality and experience, so is giving a speech.
你是否能打好台球取决于你的心态和经验,演讲也是一样 。
4. start out
起初;开始;
eg. What started out as fun quickly became hard work.
起初好玩的事很快就变成了艰苦的工作 。
eg. The child'll start out by making relatively few distinctions in the language.
孩子开始时不太能辨别语言中的差别 。