迷你对话学地道口语第2011期:不让某人说话,堵某人的嘴
日期:2020-05-15 09:44

(单词翻译:单击)

Dialogue:

A: I have promised her to keep it a secret. I won't tell you.

我已经答应她要保守秘密的,我不会告诉你的。

B: Why? I promise you I won't tell anyone else.

怎么啦?我保证不会告诉任何人的。

A: No, I don't trust you. I know you very well. You couldn't keep it a secret unless I put a gag on you.

不,我不相信你,我非常了解你,除非我能塞住你的嘴,否则不能让你保守秘密。

一, 词海拾贝

put a gag on someone

exp. To prevent somebody from speaking. (不让某人说话,堵住某人的嘴)

e.g. I can put a gag on her just by telling him that I am married already to his elder brother.

我只要告诉他我已经嫁给他的哥哥了,就能堵住她们的嘴。

e.g. He gave you the money in order to put a gag on you.

他给你那笔钱是为了堵住你的嘴。

e.g. Mary would put a gag on her right away as she spoke but she was too quick for him.

Mary 想马上堵住她的嘴,但没有来得及了。

二, 语汇积累

keep it a secret:守住秘密

e.g. Don't tell anyone about our plan, keep it a secret .

不要对任何人讲我们的计划,要保密。

e.g. Don't tell Dan if you want to keep it a secret as the guy's a blabbermouth.

如果你想守住这个秘密的话,就别告诉Dan,因为那个家伙是个大嘴巴。


分享到