迷你对话学地道口语第1860期:行为触怒某人,惹人生厌
日期:2019-09-15 09:57

(单词翻译:单击)

第一,迷你对话

A: Henry, the teacher phoned me today.

亨利,老师今天打电话给我了。

B: What did he say?

说什么了?

A: Bill fell foul of his teacher when he was late for class again.

今天比尔又迟到了,惹得老师很生气。

B: We should teach him a lesson.

我们得好好教训他一顿。

第二,地道表达

fall foul of (someone or something)

exp. To become disliked or to come in conflict with someone or something due to one's actions, often resulting in further trouble or conflict. (行为触怒别人,惹人生厌)

e.g. Since you're new here, be careful not to fall afoul of Bill—he'll keep you off of every case if he's mad at you.

因为你是新来的,所以要小心,不要和比尔发生冲突——如果他生你的气,他会把你排除在外的。

e.g. I fell foul of the committee, and now I'm not sure how to improve my reputation.

我得罪了委员会,现在我不知道如何提升我的声誉。

e.g. Ted fell afoul of the law when he was still a kid, and he's been in and out of jail ever since.

泰德还是个孩子的时候就触犯了法律,从那时起他就进进出出监狱。

第三,语汇积累

1. be late for:做某事迟到

e.g. Come on, we'll be late for the movie.

快点吧,我们看点影要迟到了。

e.g. Don't be late for your interview, or you won't get the job.

面试不要迟到,否则你就得不到工作了。

2.teach someone a lesson:教训某人一顿

e.g. I'll teach you a lesson if you go on like this.

如果你继续这样下去,我会教训你的。

e.g. I shall have to teach you a lesson. From now on, I'll show you no mercy.

我将不得不给你个利害看看。从今后,我不会宽容你。

分享到