迷你对话学地道口语第1875期:随心所欲的,放任自流的
日期:2019-10-05 20:15

(单词翻译:单击)

第一,情景对话

A: Are you free-wheeling about what you do?

你的事能自己做主吗?

B: Well, depends on what I do. Sometimes my father gives me a free hand, and sometimes he demands that I toe the line.

嗯,那要看什么事。有时候我父亲不管,有时候我就得听他的。

A: If you join us on our expedition, what will he say?

如果你和我们一起去探险,他会怎么说呢?

B: To tell you the truth, he may not think it is a good idea.

说实话,他可不会认为这是个好主意。

第二,词海拾贝

free-wheeling

exp. Wild or uncontrolled. (随心所欲的,放任自流的)

e.g. You're going to be in debt if you keep up this free-wheeling spending.

如果你继续这种随心所欲的消费,你会负债的。

e.g. These high-spending and free-wheeling people appear out of nowhere at election time.

这些挥金如土且随心所欲的人在大选期间不知从哪儿冒出来。

第三,语汇积累

1.depend on ( something or someone):依靠,依赖

e.g. I haven' t got a car, so I have to depend on the buses.

我没有汽车, 所以我得乘公共汽车。

e.g. We depend on the newspapers for information about what is happening.

我们依凭报纸获悉所发生的事情。

e.g. You must try to pull yourself together your family depend on you.

你应该振作起来,你的家庭都指着你。

e.g. You can't depend on her: for instance, she arrived late yesterday.

她靠不住,举例说吧,昨天她就来迟了。

2.give someone a free hand:让某人自由干,让某人有自行处理的权利

e.g. Can you believe the boss gave me a free hand on this project?

你能相信老板让我全权处理这个项目吗?

3. toe the line:听从

e.g. In this company you must toe the line if you want to keep your job.

在这个公司里,你必须循规蹈矩才能保住饭碗。

e.g. If he didn't toe the line, she would keep on pestering him.

不依着她的道儿走,她真会老跟着他闹哄。

4.tell someone the truth:对某人说实话

e.g. To tell the truth he was not really in the mood for anything.

说实在的,他此时干什么事都打不起精神。

e.g. The best way to turn off the speculation was to tell the truth.

停止那些臆测的最好办法就是说明真相。

分享到