迷你对话学地道口语第1998期:隐藏在心中不让别人知道
日期:2020-05-10 19:33

(单词翻译:单击)

Dialogue:

A: I know Mark is keeping something from me.

我知道马克对我隐瞒了一些事。

B: You feel upset? Well, every man plays something close to his chest.

你觉得不舒服?每个人都有自己心中的秘密。

A: But I don't know what something is.

但我不知道那是什么事。

B: Don't be annoyed by that. You must play this feeling close to the chest, too.

不要被这个搞得很烦恼,你应该把这种感觉隐藏起来。

一, 词海拾贝

play something close to one’s chest

exp. To keep one's plans, intentions, or tactics secret from everyone else. (把某事隐藏在心里不让别人知道)

e.g. We're all curious about what the boss has been discussing in those meetings with the lawyers, but she's playing it close to her chest.

我们都很想知道老板在和律师开会时都在讨论些什么,但是她不会说出来的。

二, 语汇积累

1. keep somthing from somebody:不让某人知道某事

e.g. You'd better keep the bad news from Mother.

你最好不要把这坏消息告诉母亲。

e.g. Keep the news from him;he will tell everyone about it.

不要把这消息告诉他,他会见人就说的。

2. be annoyed by something:因某事而恼火

e.g. I was annoyed by his insensitive remarks.

我听了他那些没分寸的话,心里很不痛快。

e.g. "Indeed, no, and don't let's discuss it any further," said Scarlett, annoyed by his reference to Charles.

他老是让Scarlett想起Charles,Scarllet很不高兴,于是说到:“不,请你真的不要再谈这件事了。"

e.g. If he has been annoyed by anything at the office, he takes it out of his wife and children.

如果他在办公室里不顺心,就拿他的妻子和孩子撒气。

分享到