(单词翻译:单击)
原文欣赏
Let's play something different. - Why are we playing games?!
我们来玩点别的吧. - 能别玩了吗
London's terror alert has been raised to critical,I'm just passing the time.
伦敦的恐怖威胁等级已升至最高级,我就是消磨下时间
Let's do deductions.Client left this while I was out, what do you reckon?
我们来玩推理吧.我不在的时候客户留下了这个.你怎么看
I'm busy. - Oh, go on, it's been an age.
我很忙 - 玩吧.都多久没玩了
I always win. - Which is why you can't resist.
赢的总是我. - 所以你肯定忍不住
I find nothing irresistible in the hat of a well-travelled anxious,sentimental, unfit creature of habit with appalling halitosis.
没什么好说的,帽子的主人经常旅行.焦虑.多愁善感.身体不好.习惯固定.有着严重的口臭
Damn. - Isolated too, don't you think?
见鬼. - 还很孤僻.对吧
Why would he be isolated?"He?" - Obviously.
你怎么知道他孤僻,他. - 显然是男人
Why? Size of the hat?
为什么.因为帽子大小吗
Don't be silly. Some women have large heads too.
别傻了.有些女人的头也不小啊
No, he's recently had his hair cut,
因为他最近刚剪过头发
you can see the little hairs adhering to the perspiration stains on the inside.
帽子里有汗渍,上边还粘着一点短发
Some women have short hair too. - Balance of probability.
有的女人也留短发. - 盖然性原则
Not that you've ever spoken to a woman with short hair, or, you know, a woman.
你肯定没和短发女人接触过,或者说没和女人接触过.
Stains show he's out of condition. He's sentimental,because the hat has been repaired, three, four...
出汗说明他身体不好.说他多愁善感,因为这帽子被修补过三.四.
Five times.Very neatly. The cost of the repairs exceeds that of the hat,
五次,而且针脚很齐.修补费超过了帽子本身价格
he's mawkishly attached to it. But actually more than that.One or two patches would indicate sentimentality.
他异常地迷恋这个帽子.但其实更严重,一两个补丁表明他是多愁善感
But five. Five's obsessive behaviour. Obsessive compulsive.
但有五个就表明他有强迫症
Hardly. Your client left it behind.What sort of an obsessive compulsive would do that?
不可能.你的客户忘记拿走帽子了,强迫症怎么会留下帽子
The earlier patches are extensively sun bleached,so he's worn it abroad, in Peru. - Peru?
最早的补丁都被晒褪色了,他肯定在国外戴过它.是秘鲁 - 秘鲁.
This is a chullo.The classic headgear of Andes, it's made of alpaca.
这是耳扇毛线帽,安第斯山脉地区的人都戴这种羊驼毛的帽子
No. - No?
不. - 不是吗
Icelandic sheep wool. Similar, but very distinctive, if you know what you're looking for.
是冰岛羊毛.和羊驼毛相似.但如果看仔细点就会发现它们有显著区别
I've written a blog on the varying,tensile strengths of different natural fibres.
我写了一篇博客.关于不同天然纤维,抗拉强度的差异
I'm sure there's a crying need for that.
那篇文章肯定特别有用
You said he was anxious?
你说他焦虑
The bobble on the left side has been badly chewed,which shows he's a man of a nervous disposition, but...
左侧的毛线球被咬过,说明他很神经质.但是...
But also a creature of habit,cos he hasn't chewedthe bobble on the right. - Precisely.
但习惯固定.因为他没咬右侧的毛线球.-没错
A sniff of the offending bobble tells us all we need to know about the state of his breath.Brilliant! - Elementary.
闻闻被咬过的毛线球就知道,他的口气状况.漂亮. - 太简单
But you've missed his isolation. - I don't see it.
但你还是没看出他孤僻. - 我是没看出来
Plain as day. - Where?
很明显啊. - 说
There for all to see. - Tell me.
明眼人都看得出来. - 说啊
Plain as the nose on your... - Tell me!
明显得就像.... - 你说不说
Well, anybody who wears a hat as stupid as this isn't in the habit of hanging around other people, is he?
戴着这种蠢帽子的人,肯定不喜欢热闹吧
Not at all. Maybe he just doesn't mind being different.He doesn't necessarily have to be isolated.
也不尽然.也许他只是比较特立独行.未必就是孤僻
Exactly. - I'm sorry?
是啊. - 什么
He's different, so what? Why would he mind?You're quite right.
特立独行又如何.他又不在乎?你说得很对
Why would anyone mind?
谁会在乎?
I am not lonely, Sherlock.
我可不孤独.夏洛克
How would you know?
你怎么知道
Yes. Back to work, if you don't mind. Good morning.
好吧.我要去工作了.早安
Right, back to work.
是该继续工作了
妙语佳句
Assumption
n.假定,假设;承担;想当然;采取
They have taken a wrong turning in their assumption that all men and women think alike...
他们错误地设想所有男女均见解一致。
The government have retained the support which greeted their assumption of power last March.
自从在刚过去的三月掌权以来,政府的支持率依旧未减。
-------------------------------------------------------
Missile
n.导弹;投射物
adj.导弹的;可投掷的;用以发射导弹的
The authorities offered to stop firing missiles if the rebels agreed to stop attacking civilian targets.
当局表示,如果叛乱分子答应停止攻击平民目标,就不再发射导弹。
The football supporters began throwing missiles, one of which hit the referee.
足球迷们开始扔东西,其中还砸到了裁判一次。
-------------------------------------------------------
Stick (pp. & pt. stuck)
vt.& vi.粘贴;张贴;插入;刺入
vt.容忍;产生作用;(尤指迅速或随手)放置;阻延或推迟
n.棍棒,棍枝;枝条;操纵杆;球棍
Crowds armed with sticks and stones took to the streets.
人群手持棍棒和石块走上了街头。
People carrying bundles of dried sticks to sell for firewood.
背着成捆的干树枝去当薪柴卖的人们
剧情百科
要和他们快乐的玩耍吗?算了吧!一顶不起眼的帽子,在他们兄弟俩的推理下,仿佛已经呈现帽子主人。不过Sherlock在对话中一直强调Mycroft的孤独又暗示着什么呢?
考考你 Q&A
Q: Please use the word or phrase you just learnt to complete the sentence beblow.
1.Neither agency _____ sales in the luxury market.
两家代理公司均未跟踪豪华楼盘市场的销量。
2.1.If the climate gets drier, then the _____ conclusion is that even more drought will occur...
如果气候变得更干燥,必然会出现更多旱情。
A:本期答案见下期
上期答案:
1.Already, google walletpromises to make plastic obsolete.
现在谷歌钱包淘汰信用卡的势头已经初现端倪。
2.Bleedingcan occur up to several days after a biopsy.
在活组织检查后的几天都有可能出血。