BBC《新福尔摩斯》精讲第148期:肆无忌惮的炫耀只能引来反感
日期:2013-09-10 18:04

(单词翻译:单击)

原文欣赏

"A consulting criminal". - Yes.
犯罪顾问? - 是的
Your words. Can you expand on that answer?
你能详细解释一下证词吗?
James Moriarty is for hire.
莫里亚蒂受人雇佣。
A tradesman? - Yes.
他个是技术人员? - 是的
But not the sort who'd fix your heating?
但不是帮你修暖气的那种服务?
No, the sort who'd plant a bomb or stage an assassination. But I'm sure he'd make a decent job of your boiler.
不,是帮你装炸弹或策划暗杀的那种。不过我猜让他修锅炉也能干得不错。
Would you describe him as... - Leading. - What?
你是否会将他描述为…… - 引导。 - 什么?
Can't do that. You're leading the witness. He'll object and the judge'll uphold.
这样不行,你这是引导证人。他会反对,而法官会支持。
Mr Holmes.
福尔摩斯先生。
Ask me how, how would I describe him, what opinion have I formed of him. They don't teach you this?
问我怎么看,问我如何描述他、对他有什么看法。他们没教过你吗?
Mr Holmes, we are fine without your help.
福尔摩斯先生,没有你帮忙法庭照样转。
How would you describe this man, his character?
你如何描述这个人,他的性格如何?
First mistake, James Moriarty isn't a man at all. He's a spider.
错误一,莫里亚蒂根本不是个人,
A spider at the centre of a web,a criminal web with a thousand threads and he knows precisely how each and every single one of them dances.
他是只蜘蛛,网中心的蜘蛛,这张犯罪网中有上千条线,而他对每一条的运作都了如指掌。
And how long… - No, no. Don't. Don't do that. That's really not a good question.
那你们认识…… - 不,别问这种问题。这问题烂透了。
Mr Holmes!
福尔摩斯先生!
How long have I known him? Not your best line of enquiry.
"我认识他多久了?"问得真不怎么样。
We met twice, five minutes in total. I pulled a gun, he tried to blow me up.
我们见过两次,总共五分钟。我拿枪指着他,他想炸死我。
I felt we had a special something.
我俩好像挺来电。
Miss Sorrel, are you seriously claiming this man is an expert, after knowing the accused for just five minutes?
索雷尔律师,你真觉得这人是个专家么?他和被告就见过五分钟。
Two minutes would have made me an expert , five was ample.
两分钟我就能看透一个人,五分钟够充裕了。
Mr Holmes , that's a matter for the jury.
福尔摩斯先生,这由陪审团决定。
Oh, really?
是吗?
One librarian, two teachers,two high-pressure jobs, probably the City.
一个图书管理员,两个老师,两人工作压力很大,应该是金融人士。
The foreman's a medical secretary, trained abroad,judging by her shorthand.
陪审团主席是医疗秘书,外国受训,从她的速记可以看出来。
Mr Holmes!
福尔摩斯先生
Seven are married, two are having an affair with each other. They've just had tea and biscuits.
七个已婚,两个在和对方搞外遇,他们刚用完下午茶。
Would you like to know who ate the wafer?
你想知道谁吃了威化饼么?
Mr Holmes!You've been called here to answer Miss Sorrel's questions,
福尔摩斯先生.传唤你来是为了让你回答索雷尔律师的问题,
not to give us a display of your intellectual prowess.
不是让你来展示自己有多聪明。
Keep your answers brief and to the potin. Anything else will be treated as comtempt.
请言简意赅地回答问题。
Do you think you could survive for just a few minutes without showing off?
否则就算你蔑视法庭。少显摆一会你能死么?

妙语佳句

Delete (pt&pp.deleted)
vt.& vi.删除

He also deleted files from the computer system...
他还从计算机系统里删除了文件。

------------------------------------------------------
Survive (pt&pp.survived)
vi.幸存,活下来
vt.比…活得长,经历…之后还存在;幸存
vt.& vi.幸免于难;挺过;艰难度过

Those organisms that are most suited to the environment will be those that will survive...
最适宜该环境的微生物将会存活下来。
Surviving examples of 19th-century architecture in the MidWest.
美国中西部几处仍留存至今的19世纪建筑
Most women will survive their spouses...
大多数女性都比配偶长寿

------------------------------------------------------
In favour of
为…而征战,参加支持…的活动

The political argument in favour of reform is strong.
支持政治改革的理由是不容小觑的。

------------------------------------------------------
Expand on
进一步阐述, 详谈, 补充

The president used today's speech to expand on remarks he made last month.
总统利用今天的演讲更充分地阐述了他上个月所讲的话。

剧情百科

Sherlock在席上精妙的推论,逐一推理出陪审团所有人的身份和日常举止,这种精妙的推论让人惊叹不已。但是,爱炫耀的Sherlock明显让法官和众人不爽,这对判决是否有影响?

考考你 Q&A
Q: Please use the word or phrase you just learnt to complete the sentence beblow.

1.Love has no other _____ but to fulfill itself.
除了满足它自己爱没有其他多余的欲望
2.Atheists have precious little to _____ this.
相比之下,无神论者的资源就少得可怜。

A:本期答案见下期
上期答案:

1.They don't want you to (delete) your account.
他们不想让你删除你的账户。
2.There is no consensus (in favour of) changing this dramatically.
对急剧改变这一模式的支持还没达成一致。

分享到
重点单词
  • consensusn. 共识,一致,合意 n. [生理]交感
  • environmentn. 环境,外界
  • witnessn. 目击者,证人 vt. 目击,见证,出席,观察,经历
  • phrasen. 短语,习语,个人风格,乐句 vt. 措词表达,将(
  • criminaladj. 犯罪的,刑事的,违法的 n. 罪犯
  • reformv. 改革,改造,革新 n. 改革,改良
  • juryn. 陪审团,评委会 adj. 临时用的 vt. 挑选
  • intellectualn. 知识份子,凭理智做事者 adj. 智力的,聪明的
  • decentadj. 体面的,正派的,得体的,相当好的
  • describevt. 描述,画(尤指几何图形),说成