BBC《新福尔摩斯》精讲第155期:严词比细语有时有用得多
日期:2013-09-24 12:00

(单词翻译:单击)

原文欣赏

Excuse me. - sorry
打扰了 - 抱歉。
Sherlock, something weird…What’s going on?
夏洛克,有件怪事……怎么回事?
Kidnapping. Rufus Bruhl. The ambassador to the US.
绑架案。驻美大使路法斯·布卢尔
He’s in Washington, isn’t he?
他不是在华盛顿吗?
Not him, his children. Max and Claudette, age seven and nine.
不是他,是他的孩子。一个七岁,一个九岁。
They’re at St Aldates.Posh boarding place in Surrey.
他们在圣艾尔代茨。萨里郡的豪华寄宿学校。
School broke up, all the boarders went home. Just a few kids remained, including those two.
学校放假,其他寄宿生都回家了。只有几个孩子留校,就包括他俩。
The kids have vanished.
两个孩子不见了。
The ambassador’s asked for you personally.
大使亲自指名找你。
The Reichenbach hero.
莱辛巴赫英雄。
Isn’t it great to be working with a celebrity?
跟名人一起办案真不错啊。
We shouldn’t need to keep you for much longer. - Thank you.
应该很快就能放你走了。 - 谢谢。
It’s all right.
没事了。
Miss MacKenzie, House Mistress. Go easy.
麦肯齐小姐是舍监,温柔点。
Miss MacKenzie, you’re in charge of pupil walfare,
麦肯齐小姐,你负责学生的安全,
yet you left this place wide open last night.
可昨晚却有人轻易闯入。
What are you, an idiot, a drunk or a criminal? Now, quickly, tell me!
你是白痴么,还是喝醉了或者有同伙?立刻、迅速,回答我!
All the doors and the windows were properly bolted.
所有门窗都关好了,
No-one, not even me, went into their room last night. You have to believe me.
昨晚没有任何人,包括我都没进过他们的房间。你得相信我!
I do. I just wanted you to speak quickly.
我相信,我就是想让你快点说。
Miss MacKenzie will need to breath into a bag now.
让麦肯齐小姐呼吸纸袋,冷静一下

妙语佳句

Broke
vt.打破(break的过去式和过去分词);折断
adj.破产的;缺乏资金的

It was a sharp disagreement about whether to go for broke or whether to compromise.
放手一搏还是保守妥协,在这一问题上的分歧很尖锐。
What do you mean, I've got enough money? I'm as broke as you are.
你是什么意思,我的钱还富余吗?我已和你一样分文不剩

------------------------------------------------------
Desperate
adj.绝望的;由绝望而引起的;铤而走险的,孤注一掷的;急切的,极度渴望的

Desperate with anxiety, Bob and Hans searched the whole house...
焦急万分的鲍勃和汉斯把整座房子找了个遍。
They'd been married nearly four years and June was desperate to start a family...
他们结婚已快4年了,琼非常渴望要个孩子。

------------------------------------------------------
Take…for granted
认为…理所当然, 想当然;轻信

We now take for granted that science gives us otherwise invisible worlds.
现在,我们都想当然地认为科学带给我们不一样的隐藏的世界。

------------------------------------------------------
Take breath
v.歇口气

God give me the power to take breath from a breeze.
希望神能给我在劲风中呼吸的力量。


剧情百科

直接而最有效的办法不管是文雅还是粗暴,Sherlock都不会顾及别人感受去做。他想要的不是别人感受,而是事情的结果。不过能在监视严密的学校带走人,这手法不简单啊!


考考你 Q&A
Q: Please use the word or phrase you just learnt to complete the sentence beblow.

1.We need more _____ action.
我们需要更加直接的措施。
2.These are hardly ideas to _____.
这些不能算是能引发世界灾难的想法。


A:本期答案见下期
上期答案:

1.Yet desperate times may lead to (desperate) measures.
然而绝望的时刻或许会引发极端的措施。
2.Don't (take for granted) what you have.
不要认为你所拥有的是理所当然的。

分享到
重点单词
  • anxietyn. 焦虑,担心,渴望
  • phrasen. 短语,习语,个人风格,乐句 vt. 措词表达,将(
  • compromisen. 妥协,折衷,折衷案 vt. 妥协处理,危害 vi.
  • criminaladj. 犯罪的,刑事的,违法的 n. 罪犯
  • celebrityn. 名人,名誉,社会名流
  • disagreementn. 不合,争论,不一致
  • invisibleadj. 看不见的,无形的 n. 隐形人(或物品)
  • desperateadj. 绝望的,不顾一切的
  • boltedadj. 用螺栓固定的 动词bolt的过去式和过去分词