BBC《新福尔摩斯》精讲第153期:麦考夫的"盛情"邀请
日期:2013-09-20 16:15

(单词翻译:单击)

原文欣赏

Excuse me, I’m looking for Mycroft Holmes.
不好意思,我找麦考夫·福尔摩斯,
Would you happen to know if he’s around at all?
请问他在不在?
Can you not hear me?
你听不见我说话吗?
Yes, all right. Anyone?
好吧,有人知道吗?
Anyone at all know where Mycroft Holmes is, I’ve been asked to meet him here.
谁知道麦考夫·福尔摩斯在哪?有人叫我在这等他。
No takers, right.
没人理我,好吧
Am I invisible? Can you actually see me?
我是透明的吗?你们看得见我么?
Thanks, gents. I’ve been asked to meet Mycroft Holmes.
多谢两位,有人叫我来找麦考夫·福尔摩斯。
What the hell?
搞什么飞机?
Tradition, John, our traditions define us.
传统嘛,传统界定了我们。
So total silence is traditional, is it? You can’t even say pass the sugar?
不准讲话算哪门子传统?连句“把糖递给我”都不能说吗?
Three-quarters of the diplomatic service and half the government front bench all sharing one tea trolley,
大半个外交部门和半个政府议会要员在一起喝茶。
it’s for the best, believe me. We don’t want a repeat of 1972. but we can talk in here.
相信我,这对大家都好。我们可不想重演1972年的事(血色星期天事件) 。不过在这可以说话。
You read this stuff?
你看这个?
Caught my eye. Saturday, they’re doing a big expose.
挺有意思。周六他们要爆个猛料。
I’d love to know where she got her information.
真好奇她从哪拿到的这些信息。
Someone called Brook. Recognise the name?
一个叫布鲁克的人,认识么?
School friend, maybe?
可能是校友吧。
Of Sherlock’s? But that’s not why I asked you here.
夏洛克的校友?不过这不是我叫你来的原因。

妙语佳句

Detect (pt&pp.detected)
vt.查明,发现 ;洞察;侦察,侦查;[电子学]检波

Most skin cancers can be cured if detected and treated early...
如果早发现早治疗,大多数皮肤癌是可以治愈的。
Arnold could detect a certain sadness in the old man's face.
阿诺德能觉察到老人脸上的一丝悲伤。

------------------------------------------------------
Information
n.信息,数据;通知;消息;知识

Each centre would provide information on technology and training...
每个中心都会提供技术与培训方面的信息
Pictures are scanned into a form of digital information that computers can recognize.
照片被扫描成某种电脑可以识别的数字资料

------------------------------------------------------
Tradition
n.传统;惯例;[宗]经外传说;[法]移交,引渡

Mary has carried on the family tradition of giving away plants...
玛丽承袭了向别人赠送植物的家族传统
They're marvellous pictures in the tradition of Gainsborough.
这些是具有庚斯博罗风格的绝妙画作。

------------------------------------------------------
Furnish with
用…布置;<正>提供…

To furnish with help, support, or relief.
帮助,救助提供帮助、支援或救助。
To furnish with or collect into beads.
小珠装饰或聚珠成串。


剧情百科


正如Sherlock推论凯蒂是名记者,而她将Sherlock的个人隐私发表到报纸让公众知晓。但提供给他信息的姓为布鲁克的是谁呢?而他又怎么知道Sherlock的秘密呢?

考考你 Q&A
Q: Please use the word or phrase you just learnt to complete the sentence beblow.

1.I got both back through ______ and hard work.
我通过决心和努力工作又得到了这些。
2.He loves you as if you were the only person _____.
他爱你,好象你是世上唯一的一个人一般。

A:本期答案见下期
上期答案:

1.It took three years to work out how to (detect) it.
他们一起花了整整三年才找到检测该药物的方法。
2.(Furnish with) costumes; as for a film or play.
提供服装;多用于拍摄电影或电视剧。

分享到
重点单词
  • definev. 定义,解释,限定,规定
  • silencen. 沉默,寂静 vt. 使安静,使沉默
  • traditionaladj. 传统的
  • reliefn. 减轻,解除,救济(品), 安慰,浮雕,对比 adj
  • diplomaticadj. 外交的,古字体的,老练的
  • phrasen. 短语,习语,个人风格,乐句 vt. 措词表达,将(
  • collectv. 收集,聚集 v. 推论 adv. 接收者付款
  • benchn. 长凳,工作台,法官席 vt. 坐(在长凳上)
  • brookn. 小河,溪 vt. (常用于否定句或疑问句)容忍,忍
  • certainadj. 确定的,必然的,特定的 pron. 某几个,某