(单词翻译:单击)
take the edge off....减弱
Aspirin will usually take the edge off the pain.
阿司匹林通常可以减轻疼痛。
I need a sandwich to take the edge off my appetite.
我需要一个三明治以解腹中饥。
A:How can I help you today?
我今天能帮你点什么?
B:I am in a lot of pain from my knee surgery last week and I need some stronger medicine.
我上周做完膝部手术后,膝盖就一直疼,我需要一些更强效的药。
A:The painkillers I prescribed for you are not working?
我给你开的止疼药不管用吗?
B:They only take the edge off for an hour or two.After that,the pain returns.
止疼药只能维持一到两个小时。过后,又开始痛了。
A:Well,right now you are taking a very mild painkiller.If it's not helping,I can give you something else.
好吧,现在你服用的是一种非常温和的止疼药。如果不起作用,我再给你开一些别的药。
B:How about morphine?
吗啡怎么样?
A:We only prescribe morphine in extreme cases.There is another good medicine I will prescribe for you.
我们只有在极其特殊的情况下才会开吗啡。我会给你开另一种有效的药。
B:Oh,I didn't know that.I'll try whatever you recommend.
哦,我不懂这些。你说什么,我都会试试。