(单词翻译:单击)
正文部分
Rick was chosen for US-British test pilot exchange program in 1992.
1992年,里克被选入美国— 英国皇家空军试飞员交换项目 。
We moved to the English countryside, where our marriage grew to a deeper level with no barriers standing between us.
我们搬到了英国乡下 。在国外的那段时间我们的婚姻发展到了心心相印的水平,没有隔阂 。
Later Rick applied a fourth time for the space program and got the call from NASA.
里克第四次申请参加航天项目,得到了国家航空航天局的征召 。
In Huston, no matter how tired Rick was after a long day of NASA training, he was 100 percent involved in family at home.
在休斯敦,国家航空航天局长长一天的训练之后,里克无论多么疲惫,还是百分之百地投入家庭生活之中 。
There was no sweeter music to me than the sound of our kids laughing with their Dad.
对我来说,孩子们和他们的父亲在一起的欢笑声比任何音乐都更加甜美动听 。
I was anxious at Rick's first shuttle mission, as pilot of the Discovery in 1999. The memory of the Challenger explosion was still clear.
我对里克作为 1999 年“发现”号的航天员首次执行飞行任务感到不安 。“挑战者”爆炸事件在我脑海里记忆犹新 。
The Discovery mission was a success so I was much at ease abut Rick's next trip, as commander of the Columbia, even though the launch date got put off several times.
“发现”号的飞行任务成功了,所以我对里克下一次的飞行——作为“哥伦比亚”号航天飞机的机长——放心多了,即使发射日期推后几次 。
I peacefully watched the shuttle lift off last January 16.
去年1月16日,我平静地看着航天飞机起飞上天 。
Then two weeks later as the Columbia entered the earth's atmosphere it broke apart.
两个星期之后,“哥伦比亚”号进入地球大气层时在得克萨斯上空破裂解体 。
It was like watching my whole life break into pieces and fall from the sky.
那情景就像眼看着我的一生破成碎片从空中掉下 。
This February 27 would have been our 21 wedding anniversary. This last year has seemed very, very long.
今年 2 月 27 日本该是我俩结婚 22 周年纪念日 。去年一年似乎非常漫长 。
Grief seems to bring time to a halt. Yet love never stands still. Love is always going on.
悲伤似乎让时间停止了 。然而爱从不静止,爱总是不停运转 。
There was a voice deep inside me that assured me I would be OK, the same voice that had brought me comfort during the other hard times in my life.
在我的内心深处有个声音在安慰我,说我会没事的,这声音就是在我的经历生活中其它艰难时期时带给我慰藉的那同一个声音 。
I knew I would have the strength to go on, and where that strength would come from. It was love that would save me now.
我知道我会有力量生活下来,我也清楚那力量会从何而来 。现在会拯救我的正是这种爱 。
划红精讲
1. apply for 申请,请求
(1) (正式)申请,求(职),要求(工作等)
eg. She applied to the manager for a job as clerk.
她向经理申请一份办事员的工作 。
eg. He applied for a fellowship.
他申请入会 。
(2) 请求
eg. He has applied to the banker for a loan.
他向银行家请求贷款 。
2. involve in 参与;涉及;卷入,陷入
eg. The more the parents involve in the children, the greater the chances of unhappiness are.
父母参与越多,下一代不幸福的几率越大 。
3. at ease 安逸,自由自在;舒适
eg. Yet I feel at ease here and free to be myself.
但是我在这里感到轻松自由并且有种找到了自我的感觉 。
eg. Soon, his warm, inviting smile put me at ease, and we spent the next two hours talking casually.
很快,他灿烂、热情的微笑令我放松 。 在接下来的两个小时里,我们随意地聊着 。
3. break into pieces 成为碎片
eg. If you dropped the glass, it would break into pieces.
如果你把杯子掉到地上,它就会摔碎的 。
4. to a halt 停止
grind to a halt 慢慢停止
bring to a halt 使停止
sliding to a halt 滑动到一个停顿