乔布斯传(MP3+中英字幕) 第44期:探寻(1)
日期:2015-04-15 16:07

(单词翻译:单击)

The Search
探寻
Jobs's interest in Eastern spirituality, Hinduism, Zen Buddhism, and the search for enlightenment was not merely the passing phase of a nineteen-year-old.
乔布斯对东方精神、印度教、佛教禅宗以及探寻个人启蒙的浓厚兴趣,并不仅仅是一个19岁青年的心血来潮。
Throughout his life he would seek to follow many of the basic precepts of Eastern religions,
纵观他的一生,他追随并遵循着许多东方宗教的基本戒律,
such as the emphasis on experiential prajñā, wisdom or cognitive understanding that is intuitively experienced through concentration of the mind.
比如对“般若”的强调--通过精神的集中而直观体验到的智慧和认知。
Years later, sitting in his Palo Alto garden, he reflected on the lasting influence of his trip to India:
多年之后,乔布斯坐在自己位于帕洛奥图的花园中,回想起了印度之旅对他的深远影响:
Coming back to America was, for me, much more of a cultural shock than going to India.
我回到美国之后感受到的文化冲击,比我去印度时感受到的还要强烈。
The people in the Indian countryside don't use their intellect like we do,
印度乡间的人与我们不同,我们运用思维,
they use their intuition instead, and their intuition is far more developed than in the rest of the world.
而他们运用直觉,他们的直觉比世界上其他地方的人要发达得多。
Intuition is a very powerful thing, more powerful than intellect, in my opinion.
直觉是非常强大的,在我看来比思维更加强大。
That's had a big impact on my work.
直觉对我的工作有很大的影响。
Western rational thought is not an innate human characteristic;
西方的理性思维并不是人类先夭就具有的,
it is learned and is the great achievement of Western civilization.
而是通过学习获得的,它是西方文明的一项伟大成就。
In the villages of India, they never learned it.
而在印度的村子里,人们从未学习过理性思维。
They learned something else, which is in some ways just as valuable but in other ways is not.
他们学习的是其他东西,在某些方面与理性思维同样有价值,
That's the power of intuition and experiential wisdom.
那就是直观和经验智慧的力量。
Coming back after seven months in Indian villages, I saw the craziness of the Western world as well as its capacity for rational thought.
在印度的村庄待了7个月后再回到美国,我看到了西方世界的疯狂以及理性思维的局限。
If you just sit and observe, you will see how restless your mind is.
如果你坐下来静静观察,你会发现自己的心灵有多焦躁。
If you try to calm it, it only makes it worse, but over time it does calm, and when it does,
如果你想平静下来,那情况只会更糟,但是时间久了之后总会平静下来,
there's room to hear more subtle things--that's when your intuition starts to blossom and you start to see things more clearly and be in the present more.
心里就会有空间让你聆听更加微妙的东西--这时候你的直觉就开始发展,你看事情会更加透彻,也更能感受现实的环境。
Your mind just slows down, and you see a tremendous expanse in the moment.
你的心灵逐渐平静下来,你的视界会极大地延伸。
You see so much more than you could see before.
你能看到之前看不到的东西。
It's a discipline; you have to practice it. Zen has been a deep influence in my life ever since.
这是一种修行,你必须不断练习。禅对我的生活一直有很深的影响。
At one point I was thinking about going to Japan and trying to get into the Eihei-ji monastery,
我曾经想过要去日本,到永平寺修行,
but my spiritual advisor urged me to stay here.
但我的精神导师要我留在这儿。
He said there is nothing over there that isn't here, and he was correct.
他说那里有的东西这里都有,他说得没错。
I learned the truth of the Zen saying that if you are willing to travel around the world to meet a teacher, one will appear next door.
我从禅中学到的真理就是,如果你愿意跋山涉水去见一个导师的话,往往你的身边就会出现一位。

分享到
重点单词
  • emphasisn. 强调,重点
  • disciplinen. 训练,纪律,惩罚,学科 vt. 训练,惩罚
  • impactn. 冲击(力), 冲突,影响(力) vt. 挤入,压紧
  • subtleadj. 微妙的,敏感的,精细的,狡诈的,不明显的
  • capacityn. 能力,容量,容积; 资格,职位 adj. (达到最
  • innateadj. 天生的,固有的
  • achievementn. 成就,成绩,完成,达到
  • merelyadv. 仅仅,只不过
  • observev. 观察,遵守,注意到 v. 评论,庆祝
  • cognitiveadj. 认知的,认识的,有认识力的