乔布斯传(MP3+中英字幕) 第683期:你说你想要一场革命(4)
日期:2020-12-28 11:44

(单词翻译:单击)

In fact he went to the other extreme. Apple licensed the ARM architecture,
事实上,他走向了另一个极端。苹果公司在获得ARM构架授权的同时,
but it also bought a 150-person microprocessor design firm in Palo Alto, called P.A. Semi,
收购了帕洛奥图一家150人的微处理器设计公司P.A.Semi,
and had it create a custom system-on-a-chip, called the A4,
并让其设计一款定制的、名为A4的系统单芯片;
which was based on the ARM architecture and manufactured in South Korea by Samsung.
这款芯片基于ARM架构,是由三星公司在韩国制造的。
As Jobs recalled: At the high-performance end, Intel is the best.
乔布斯回忆道:在高性能方面,英特尔公司最好。
They build the fastest chip, if you don't care about power and cost.
他们制造的芯片迷度最快,如果你不在乎功耗和成本的话。
But they build just the processor on one chip, so it takes a lot of other parts.
但是他们的芯片上只有处理器,因此需要许多其他部件。
Our A4 has the processor and the graphics, mobile operating system, and memory control all in the chip.
我们的A4芯片将处理器、显卡、移动操作系统和内存控制都集成于一个芯片之中。
We tried to help Intel, but they don't listen much.
我们曾想要帮助英特尔公司,但是他们不怎么听我们的。
We've been telling them for years that their graphics suck.
多年来,我们都跟英特尔反映,他们的图形芯片很差劲儿。

双语有声读物 乔布斯传

Every quarter we schedule a meeting with me and our top three guys and Paul Otellini.
每个季度,我和其他三名苹果公司高管都会跟保罗·欧德宁开会。
At the beginning, we were doing wonderful things together.
开始的时候,我们一起做出了很棒的东西。
They wanted this big joint project to do chips for future iPhones.
他们希望这个联合项目可以为今后的iPhone制作芯片。
There were two reasons we didn't go with them.
我们没有继续合作的原因有二。
One was that they are just really slow. They're like a steamship, not very flexible. We're used to going pretty fast.
一是他们真的很慢,就像蒸汽轮船一样,不是很灵活,而我们习惯快速前进。
Second is that we just didn't want to teach them everything, which they could go and sell to our competitors.
二是我们不想把什么都教给他们,因为他们可能会把我们的东西卖给竞争对手。
According to Otellini, it would have made sense for the iPad to use Intel chips.
据欧德宁说,iPad本可以采用英特尔芯片。
The problem, he said, was that Apple and Intel couldn't agree on price. Also, they disagreed on who would control the design.
他表示,问题在于苹果公司和英特尔公司无法谈拢价格。此外,他们在谁来控制设计的问题上也存在分歧。
It was another example of Jobs's desire, indeed compulsion, to control every aspect of a product, from the silicon to the flesh.
而这也是乔布斯控制欲,确切地说是强迫症的一个表现,他想要控制产品的每一个环节,从芯片到材料。

分享到