试听英剧《唐顿庄园》学口语第31期:贝茨力张老爷辞掉卡森
日期:2013-05-17 09:49

(单词翻译:单击)

试听时间

特别声明

该节目由可可原创,讲解部分由可可签约编辑编写。

视频出处

以下视频片段选自《唐顿庄园》第一季第一集。

影视片花

中英对白

Why did you apologize to that man?

为何向那个下人道歉

It's not his business what we do.

他管不着我们做什么

I always apologize when I'm in the wrong. It's a habit of mine.

习惯了 做错事就道歉

The plain fact is, Mr Bates, through no fault of his own,

事实如此 Bates先生虽然没错

is not able to fulfill the extra duties expected of him.

却无法履行他应完成的额外任务

He can't lift, he can't serve at table, he's dropping things all over the place.

手不能提 腿不能立 还四处碰落东西

On a night like tonight, he should act as a third footman.

例如今晚 他应充当第三男仆

As it is, my Lord, we may have to have a maid in the dining room.

可是 老爷 现在只好用女仆代替

Cheer up, Carson. There are worse things happening in the world.

行了 Carson 世上还有更糟的事

Not worse than a maid serving a duke.

不会有比让女仆服侍公爵更糟的事了

So you're quite determined?

你此意已决

It's a hard decision, your Lordship, a very hard decision,

这是个艰难的决定 老爷 情非得已

but the honour of Downton is at stake.

但事关唐顿大体

Don't worry, Carson. I know all about hard decisions

别担心 Carson 说到唐顿大体

when it comes to the honour of Downton, don't I, boy?

我太理解艰难的决定了 对吧 小子

妙语连珠

第一、短语精讲

1. as it is:实际上

As it is, we can hardly get to the station by 6 o'clock.

事实上,我们六点钟以前是很难赶到车站的。

I thought he would get better. As it is, he is getting worse.

我以为他会变好。但事实上,他愈变愈糟。

2. in the wrong:有错,负有责人

He knew he was in the wrong,but was determined to face it out.

他知道自己错了,但决心坚持到底。

I'm the one in the wrong. I bit your head off.

是我的不是,是我挫伤了你。

3. cheer up:高兴起来,振作起来

I think he misses her terribly. You might cheer him up.

我估计他是太想念她了,也许你可以让他打起点儿精神来。

I wrote that song just to cheer myself up.

我写那首歌是给我自己打气的。

4. at stake:在危险中,在危机关头,处于成败关头

The life of the sick man is at stake.

病人的生命在危急中。

The Chinese nation has reached a point where its very existence is at stake.

中华民族到了这生死存亡的关头。

5. at table:在进餐时

Children must learn to behave at table.

小孩吃饭时必须有规矩.

He was at table when I called.

我过访时,他正在吃饭。

6. expect of:期望,期待

What do you expect of him? He is young and hasn't cut his wisdom teeth yet.

你对他能寄予什么希望呢?他初出茅庐,还未到懂事年龄。

Your work does not come up to what we expect of you.

你的工作没达到我们的期望。

Don't expect too much of his idea.

不要对他的主意期望过高。

7. all over:到处,遍及

The bank has branches all over the country.

那家银行在全国各地设有分行。

His comments have inflamed teachers all over the country.

他的评论激怒了全国教师。

I'm aching all over.

我周身疼痛。

I itch all over.

我浑身痒。

8. act as:充当,担任

He acted as secretary to the board.

他充任委员会的秘书。

A trained dog can act as a guide to a blind person.

经过训练的狗能担任盲人的向导。

第二、泛讲短语

1. a habit of:......的习惯

2. apologize to someone:像......道歉

3. fulfill the extra duties:完成额外任务

4. in the dining room:在客厅里

脱口而出

1. 语意表述:某人做某事与他人无关,用不着他来插手或干预。中文中经常说:“他管不着。”“用不着他来管。”

套用句型:It is not someone’s business what somebody does.

句型操练:It is not my parents’ business what I had a date with my girlfriend.

我和我的女友约会,我父母管不着。

句型出处:It's not his business what we do.

2. 语意表述:还有更......的事情(任务)发生(存在)。

套用句型:There are+形容词的比较级+名词+doing.

句型操练:There are much better books coming out.

还有好得多得多的书籍出版发行。

There are prettier ladies showing up at the ball.

还有更美丽的女式出席舞会。

句型出处:There are worse things happening in the world.

3. 语意表述:某人很了解,熟悉某事或某人。

套用句型:Sb knows all about something/somebody.

句型操练:I won’t buy his story for I know all about him.

我不会相信他的,我对他太了解了。

I majored in computer but I don’t know all about it.

我的专业是计算机,但是我不是完全了解它。

句型出处:I know all about hard decisions when it comes to the honour of Downton,

4. 语意表述:设计某个话题,谈及某个话题,就会发生什么事情。

套用句型:When it comes to something, +句子。

句型操练:When it comes to his marriage, he is always avoid talking about it.

一谈及他的婚姻,他总是逃避这个话题。

句型出处:I know all about hard decisions when it comes to the honour of Down

分享到
重点单词
  • inflamedadj. 发炎的,红肿的 动词inflame的过去式和过
  • avoidvt. 避免,逃避
  • decisionn. 决定,决策
  • faultn. 缺点,过失,故障,毛病,过错,[地]断层 vt.
  • staken. 桩,赌注,利害关系 v. 下注,用桩支撑
  • plainn. 平原,草原 adj. 清楚的,坦白的,简单的,平坦
  • apologizevi. 道歉,谢罪
  • determinedadj. 坚毅的,下定决心的