听《傲慢与偏见》第161期:我相信他的本质还是和过去一样
日期:2012-01-17 09:53

(单词翻译:单击)

"And you saw him frequently?"
你常常和他见面吗?

"Yes, almost every day. "
常常见面,差不多每天见面。

"His manners are very different from his cousin's. "
他的风度和他表兄大不相同。

"Yes, very different. But I think Mr. Darcy improves upon acquaintance. "
的确大不相同;可是我想,达西先生跟人家处熟了也就好了。

"Indeed!" cried Mr. Wickham with a look which did not escape her. "And pray, may I ask?" But checking himself, he added, in a gayer tone, "Is it in address that he improves? Has he deigned to add aught of civility to his ordinary style?--for I dare not hope, " he continued in a lower and more serious tone, "that he is improved in essentials. "
只见韦翰顿时显出吃惊的神气,大声嚷道:那可怪啦,对不起,我是否可以请问你一下……说到这里,他又控制住了自己,把说话的声调变得愉快些,然而接下去说:他跟人家说话时,语气是否好了些?他待人接物是否比以前有礼貌些?因为我实在不敢指望他──他的声调低下去了,变得更严肃了,指望他从本质上变好过。
"Oh, no!" said Elizabeth. "In essentials, I believe, he is very much what he ever was. "
没那回事!伊丽莎白说。我相信他的本质还是和过去一样。

1.be different from 和……不同
May your destiny be different from her.
希望你的命运和她不同。

2.improve upon 改进
Your complexion is wonderful; don't try to improve upon nature
你的肤色好得很,不要去设法改良天生的肤色。

3. add A to B 将A添加到B
He added some wood to increase the fire.
他加了一些木柴,使火旺些。

4.in essential 本质上,实质上
In essential, it's a real book.
实质上,这是本非常好的书。

分享到
重点单词
  • escapev. 逃跑,逃脱,避开 n. 逃跑,逃脱,(逃避)方法、
  • addressn. 住址,致词,讲话,谈吐,(处理问题的)技巧 vt.
  • essentialn. 要素,要点 adj. 必要的,重要的,本质的
  • acquaintancen. 熟人,相识,了解
  • civilityn. 礼貌,谦恭,端庄
  • tonen. 音调,语气,品质,调子,色调 vt. 使更健壮,装