(单词翻译:单击)
Solomon Northup, an educated freeman from the North, was kidnapped into slavery.
所罗门·诺萨普,一位来自北方的受过教育的自由人因遭绑架而沦为奴隶 。
You, come over here.
你,到这边来 。
He would make us hold up our heads, walk us briskly back and forth, while customers would feel our hands and arms and bodies,
他会要求我们把头抬起来,让我们快速来回奔跑,这样顾客们就能观察我们的手臂和躯干 。
make us open up our mouths and show our teeth, precisely as a jockey examines a horse, which he is about to barter for or purchase.
他让我们张开嘴巴露出牙齿,简直就像一个骑师在检验马匹,然后再决定是用钱还是用货物来完成交易 。
Scars upon a slave's back were considered evidence of a rebellio us or unruly spirit, and hurt his sale.
奴隶后背上的伤疤被视为该奴隶反叛或难以管束的证据,因而影响售价 。
Take your top off.
把上衣脱了 。
90% of all African -Americans are slaves, 4 million men, women and children.
九成的非裔美国人都是奴隶,包括400万男人、女人和小孩 。
We had based this country on everyone having inalienable rights to freedom and equality, and yet we created a system of abject persecution.
我们的建国纲领是人人都享有不容侵犯的自由和平等权利,然而我们也创造了一套惨无人道的迫害机制 。
Slaves are fattened for auction, like livestock.
奴隶们被养肥了送去拍卖,就像牲口一样 。
Dark -skinned men are bought for the fields, light -skinned women for the house.
深肤色的男人被买走干农活,而浅肤色的女人则用来做家务活 。
Traders lie about their ages, even dye a slave's gray hairs.
奴隶贩子们谎报他们的年龄,甚至会给奴隶的白发染色 。
For the plantation owners, it was like just goin g to your local supermarket to get sugar or flour.
对于农场主来说,买奴隶就像去当地的超市买糖和面粉一样 。
They had become so desensitized to the humanity of the slave that they did not see them as human beings.
他们已经完全忘了奴隶也是人,以至于根本不把奴隶当人看 。
Buyers demand the most fertile slaves for breeding. The most expensive are light -skinned teenage vir gins. Rape is common.
买家需要生育能力强的奴隶来繁衍后代,身价最高的就是浅肤色未成年处女,强奸已是稀松平常 。
Eliza's from a state plantation. She's being sold, with her two children, Emily and Randall.
伊莱扎来自一个州立农场,和她一起被拍卖的还有她的两个孩子埃米莉和兰德尔 。
In Louisiana, it's illegal for children under 11 to be taken from their parents.
在路易斯安那州将11岁以下的孩子从父母身边带走是违法的 。
Boy, come over here.
小伙子,过来 。
It happens all the time. Show me your t eeth.
但这种事屡见不鲜 。给我看看你的牙齿 。
You know, 140 years is not a really long time in the context of history.
140年的时间对于整个历史进程来说并不漫长 。
So it's hard for me to believe that blacks didn't have any rights here, they weren't treated as human beings, they were treated like animals, essentially.
所以我真的不敢相信140年前黑人在这里没有任何权利可言,他们遭受的是非人的对待 。本质上他们的待遇和动物无异 。
Sir, please! Over half the sales at auction will tear a family apart.
求你了,先生 。拍卖会上过半的交易都会拆散一个家庭 。
If you've ever been eight, to think of being separated from your mother and your father and sold and you'll never see them again.
想象一下,一个八岁的孩子被迫与父母分开,被人买走永远不能再见父母一面 。
The horror of that, the poignancy of all of that, and yet that's the kind of t hing that happened across the South up until the end of slavery.
想象一下这过程中的惊恐与辛酸,而类似事件却在整个南方屡见不鲜,直到奴隶制度瓦解 。
Okay, my final offer, I'll give you 1,000 for that man, 900 for that man.
好了,我最后一次出价,这个男人我出一千,那个男人我出九百 。
That woman there, $700. Please, buy my child! Sir!
那边那个女人我出七百 。求你买下我的孩子吧,先生 。